Replacement Tires for dual axle trailer?

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Howdy,
I have a 5000lbs boat on a dual axle trailer with 205/75-15 tires. I have lost track of time, and the current tires are Goodyear Marathon dated 2010!
So, I guess they are past due, and based on some of the stories, I should get them off.
But the new Goodyear's are "sold out" until 2022...
My local dealer can get me some Carlisle tires and some other off brand.
I guess I should get something on there sooner than later and not wait for the Goodyear's to come available? Might be a good time to replace the wheels too ;-)
We trailer the boat about 30 min to 2hr to get a to a variety of lakes, no interstate hwy tavel, but some two to four lane road.

Any thoughts on the best plan forward....

matt167

Captain
Goodyear Endurance ( USA manufacture ) are getting hard to find, if not impossible to find due to being out of production for the remainder of the year. However Simple tire shows D rated in your size as available

Hankook started making a tire called the Vantra trailer tire which is decent and they are manufactured in Korea

Being you are going a distance, I would look into these 2 options. I work at a well respected locally owned tire shop where our customer base extends greater than 100 miles out.

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I gave up on Goodyear trailer tires several years ago and have had good luck with Carlisle tires.
Yeah they are made in China, but haven't had blowouts like with the Goodyears.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have had great luck with Goodyear Endurance tires. I’d wait for them or get Maxxis.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Maxxis 8008

Carlisle is just another China Bomb waiting to happen.

matt167

Captain
I gave up on Goodyear trailer tires several years ago and have had good luck with Carlisle tires.
Yeah they are made in China, but haven't had blowouts like with the Goodyears.

The Endurance line was not available several years ago. Carlisle Radial Trail HD's are about the best cheap tire you can get

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If it were me, I'd keep running the old tires, making sure you have a couple of cheap spares handy, until the Endurance tires are in stock again. If I was going to shell out the cash for four tires at once, I'd want to be sure I was getting something decent...

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
What ever tire you decide on you need to replace them now. Running 10 year old trailer tires is just plain dangerous. Running those old tires on a heavy trailer and boat could spell disaster for you and your passengers and for other people on the road. Ever had a trailer tire blow at 70 mph? I have. It took my truck and trailer into the next lane and then the trailer started swaying. It was skill and luck that it didn’t turn into a serious (deadly) accident.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep, I do want to replace them, seem like yesterday I had them put on before taking the boat back to it's birth place- Lake Tahoe..... Well that's where if came from...... I found a local tire shop that had the Goodyear tires in stock, and ordered some new wheels. Hope to have them mounted before the next boat adventure. The boat is stored inside, so the tires look new on the outside, but who knows what lingers inside....... Either way, they are being replaced. I guess six years is the magic number for replacement.
Thanks again for the feedback! Greatly appreciated.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yes they are actually made in Thailand, headquartered in Taiwan as I recall.. But a Carlisle Radial Trail HD is a little bit better of a tire

That is probably the first time I’ve ever seen anyone claim a Carlisle tire of any stripe is better than Maxxis.

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it were me, I'd keep running the old tires, making sure you have a couple of cheap spares handy, until the Endurance tires are in stock again. If I was going to shell out the cash for four tires at once, I'd want to be sure I was getting something decent...
And when you have a blowout on the Freeway in Holiday traffic you are
going to loose more than a tire.

I have had tires blowout that maybe only hurt the fender.
But one blowout in particular cost me $7000 in repair
and freaking out about 8 either vehicles.

matt167

Captain
That is probably the first time I’ve ever seen anyone claim a Carlisle tire of any stripe is better than Maxxis.

I deal in a lot of trailer tires with my job. Carlisle gets a bad rap from the Sport Trail.. The Radial Trail HD isn't a bad tire, there are better tires of course, but it's on par with most... I don't care for how a Maxxis tire blows up and it's sidewall

We have been selling the crap out of the new Hankook Vantra trailer tires. With the GY Endurance pretty much NLA, these are pretty hot sellers at my shop

flashback

Captain
My 2 cents.. I'm fortunate to live on the river so my trailer is not used and when I need it occasionally, like every 5 years. I get the cheapo. If I was running the road, I would get the best. It is all about need.

matt167

Captain
LOL...not even close.
I deal with all brands. Giving my professional 2 cents... Get the best or take your pick of seconds. I mean no disrespect. Probably 25 percent of my tire sales in spring and summer are trailer tires.. I change a lot of them

Last edited:
My local Goodyear shop said the same thing, that they won't be making new ones until next year some time.