replaceing pieces by the bilge........now with pics

jonesg

Admiral
Re: replaceing pieces by the bilge

well as far as cost is concerned on the motor i am looking at less then a grand (more like 500 if i am on the not so luck side). i purchased this boat for a grand with trailer knowing that it had motor problems i was just hoping that they was not as bad as they were. the previous owner didnt winterize it so if we figure on spend a nother grand on this repair (i dont realy have an idea what i am looking into just yet coist wise) then i would have less then 3 grand in this boat and i would know that everything is done right (as long as i can do them that is) and i would not have to worrie about it for many years to come. me personally 3 grand in a solid boat with a rebuilt motor transome, and stringers is not that bad of a deal. if i would of know now back then i would have chosen a different one i have learned so much about boats in the last 6 months and that is just from readding on this forum ......many thanks to everyone that has helped out on teaching me and holding th eguide ropes wile i learn

Well, it all depends on the motor, if its fixable , so is the boat.
If the motor has to be replaced the boat becomes a bigger liability because the motor will gobble up the budget and leave you upside down.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so i got the pick now i took them with my phone as my camrea is broken (it got wet) 334.jpg333.jpg331.jpg330.jpg

Attachments

• 335.jpg
    335.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont knwo if you can see it in that last pic but my transome area is not any where near a strait up and down. if you can see it in that one i will have some in a bit that show it

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

328.jpg336.jpg329.jpg330.jpg333.jpg i hope these help gain the area i am conserned about is the area directly under the battery and under the fuel tank but if the stringer and transome is shot then i will have to fix that as well.....i will post more pick after but momma wants to go to town

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
replacing pieces by bilge area....now with pics

replacing pieces by bilge area....now with pics

ok so i could not figure out how to post the pic properly in the previous thread so i started a new on 337.jpgthis is of the starboard side and as you can see in this pic the glass is all wavey (spell check) right there where it steps down to the bilge. the screws there that you can see on the top part (holding the wired and the hose down) are in what i feel is very weel and the hole reason why i started this posting
330.jpg again this is the same side and you can see how it is glassed all the way in to side wall of the boat327.jpgonce again the same side as you can tell just showing a lot more of the area

Attachments

• 332.jpg
    332.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 338.jpg
    338.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: replacing pieces by bilge area....now with pics

opps i am stll learning how to do this posting pic thing.... the one of the head gasked is just showing that oviously it was blown and how bad. the other pic that is showing the battery should be switched with the one that ios showing the sid of the transome. the only reason that i am showing that is to show that my transome is not strait up and down like most of them that i have seen on here that ppl have replaced. so lets see lets see if i can get it right this time.

329.jpgok as you can see in this pic the stringer where the motor mount bolts to is holding water into the rest of the bow and a bilge pump is currently used to drain the water into the bilge then out of the boat. i have not had a chance to pull any of the motor mount bolts out to check the wood under the glass there
333.jpg328.jpg these are both of the same area and where the fuel tank sits. i have not had to put a screw or anything in the piece directly under the fuel tanks but with the other side being as week as it is i am just concerned with it being week as well

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok now these pics here i am jsut trying to show the transome area and how it is put together as i would be very worried about replacing it since i(as you will see) it is not exactally strait up and down plus it is recessed in some areas and .......well you will see how it is put together337.jpg335.jpg336.jpg255.jpg just incase any one is reading for the first tiem and was not able to follow the other thread....the reason for starting this is i am after info on replacing the pannles that the fuel tanks sits on and the same on the other sie where the battery sits. i am wanting to replace tehm as i feel they are very week to the point where if you need to you could push a nail right into them :eek: and in the previous thread aome people had suggested replacing the stringers and the transome:facepalm: and i was asked to get pics ....please excuse the not so well taken pics as i had use my phone for them but the good news is that if more pics are needed then i can get them a lot easier now since we went to wally workd and picked up a 14 megapixal camera for 69$:D and thaks again for all the help and the info that is supplied on here

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok i kind of figured that i would get some responce on this my now. i am beggining to wonder if every one uses this forum to make it look like they are busy wile they are at work:eek::eek::eek:ok i will keerp checking back to see what happens

jonesg

Admiral

Don't know what the question is but its a gut job.
Pull the engine and rip the rot out.
If the engine is trashed it might not be worth bothering.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I merged your threads ;)

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

great thanks i was kind ok hoping that someone could do that for me ....to some one just finding this for he first time i i was orginally wanting to know about replacing the pannel that the battery and trim pump sit on, and on the other side the fuel tank sits on cuz they are very soft (to the point you could push a nail right through with some foce. then i was informedthat the stringers could be rotten as well as the transome. can anyone tell by looking at my pics what the possiability of the strings could be shot? what do you think the odds of all this stuff holding out this season would be with out a catastroffic (spell check...cat-a stro-fic) failure would be so i could replace everything during the winter?

i was out there again today and i pulled up on the outdrive with my fater watching the transome for any aboutn of flex. i was pulling up on it to the puint the trailer tired stopped squating (i was not holding back i wanted to see if it would flex) dad did not see any at all. wile he was there we did figure out what aould have to be done to get to the transome and sure enough we would have to split the hole boat at the rub rail to acess the transome to replace it, this is not something i am wanting to do but if i have to then that is what i have to do. but would much rather hold off till winter if it will last that long with out falling out of off wile on the lake once again any advice is greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance

jonesg

Admiral

Stress on the outdrive is applied directly to the motor mounts, not the transom.

You could also cut the cap 3 feet fwd of the transom and just remove the rear portion, remove rubrail though.
Fiberglass the joint when done and place a step pad over the joint to hide it and save on finish work.

I would use it for the summer, carefully. Then get started in the fall.
By then you'll have given it plenty of thought and research.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i do like the idea of holding off till fall and doing the work on it thin only cuz after i pulled the cover off for the first time since winter (when i went to take the pics) i noticed that the seats could use a re covering but that would hold off till the off season

could i get some more to chime in on the holdinf off till fall and replace everything once that comes

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok after all the desire for pictures i figured that after i got them on here that it would get a lot more attention or replys then it has what give? could i please get some more inside infor on how these look?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok alilley,

It appears that you have a 3 piece transom. It is very difficult to tell, even with your pics, the condition of it. Have you taken any core samples of the stringer, motor mounts and the transom? If not, why not? This is going to be the ONLY true way of ascertaining if you have rot. You can use 3M 5200 to seal the holes if it all checks out OK. If not, then you will need to start the gutting process and restore the boat to make it safe. Like I said it IS hard to tell from the pics but IMHO you will need to do this sooner than later BUT taking core samples should give you AND us a better indication.

rickryder

Commander

Exactly what Wood is saying! You must do core sample tests to be positive of the condition of things. We can assume all we want but there is only one sure way to know........get your drill!

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

where do i find this 3m 5200? what is it? what is its intended use? when using it what do i need to do? when taking core samples what do i need to? what size drill bit? how deep do i go? how many do i need to take?

Tolyn

Seaman

Greetings!

3m 5200 can be found here on iboats. It is used to fill in spots or gaps where you do not want water to invade. To use it simply get a caulk gun and squeeze some into the holes you drill.

For the core samples : a drill, a drill bit (I used a 3/8), some tape. Look at your transom and figure out about how thick it is and put the tape on your bit around half that amount. When you drill just go up to the tape so you don't go through the back. Take samples from different sections of the transom (be mindful if some parts are thicker than others).

If the shavings come out black and crumbling or are wet then you are in for some more work I'm afraid. Just take a deep breath, hope for the best and remember that the folks on here can help you work through whatever you find.

Best of luck!
-T