Replace top crank seal 1986 60 hp merc

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 20, 2016
Messages
100
I'm working on another problem that is indicating I may have a top crank shaft seal leaking. I'm considering changing this if it's as easy as I believe?
- remove flywheel + Stator and trigger.
- Pierce the metal on the old seal and pry out/insert screw in holes to pull up.
- Clean, etc. align, lube and press in with a suitable socket or custom made wood mandrel.

I've done many of these types of seal before - I just want to be sure the seal is removable without splitting the crankcase.. Pics or seal seams to indicate a pull out and push in style (i.e. no trapped lip).

Thanks All 1996 60 hp merc.
 

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 20, 2016
Messages
100
Has anyone had a failed top crankcase seal on a similar motor - or change one??

Thanks
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,949
Those seals rarely fail.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?----What trouble shooting has been done on it ?
 

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
15,938
Be careful as this motor doesn't have a upper brg housing... the block is the housing so don't gouge it getting it out.
 

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 20, 2016
Messages
100
Will do. I asked the question since the MErc Manual I have shows the seal being installed before the block haves are bolted together. Just want to sure before I pull it that it's not trapped behind a lip and requires the block to be split.
 
Top