replace or fabricate internal fuel lines 74 mercury 650?

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi folks. does anyone know any cheap options for replacing the internal fuel lines on a merc 65 3 cylinder? maybe the source / specs for the ferrule and end fittings so i can make my own?

i have acquired a neglected 1974 merc 650. i got it running on muffs and every single fuel line inside the cowl is dry rotted and leaking fuel. it's like a waterfall in there. it looks like it will cost me $50-60 each to buy the lines oem and two are discontinued. i am reluctant to put that much money into this motor until i get to know it better. it also needs an impeller for sure and who knows what else will crop up before it is a runner.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Not necessarily marine related, but when replacement time comes, I use what makes sense and is available. If that is substitute, hose barbs and auto fuel line works for me...inland lake, not over 40k acres, no salt water usage.

Every time I see an old Mercury Mark XYZ I marvel at the aircraft quality fuel lines that Karl used in his engines in the early days.

On replacement lines and hose barbs, ensure that you use Mercury Zip Ties. Then are not your normal Zip tie. They have an added arc in the clasp that provides for 360* compression of the hose at the barb. ebay has them.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have you priced OEM or NOS fuel lines? How onto your shorts!

What I did was use a file to cut through the crimps to get them off and used hose clamps to secure the new hose on to the modified fittings. Fuel pressure is very low and the hose clamps worked for me.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you priced OEM or NOS fuel lines? How onto your shorts!

What I did was use a file to cut through the crimps to get them off and used hose clamps to secure the new hose on to the modified fittings. Fuel pressure is very low and the hose clamps worked for me.

thanks. so you just filed the ferrule off and clamped new hose to the original end fittings? that would work for me. good to know there is no unusual pressure to worry about.

walleyemanII

Cadet
You can also use this style of hose clamp
1ENL6_AS01

Nylon Hose Clamps
• Temp. range: -40° to 185°F
Interlocking teeth eliminate leak path created by most overlapping ring hose clamps.
You buy them for a range of hose od diameters.
Graingers is one seller