Repairing soft bow deck

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
I would like to hear from boaters who have had their bow decks repaired. I have some softness on the starboard side (about 1/3) of the bow deck on my Sunrunner 220SB.
Boat mechanicals, reupholstery, and electricals are easy and straight-forward
for me. So is carpentry and plumbing. But I have never done any delamination
repairs. From what I've read on this site and other sites, my choices seem to be: 1) to peel back the cabin headlining, cut out the cabin roof fiberglass shell, clean out the rotten plywood, replace the plywood with marine or exterior plywood fiberglassing it in, glue back the cabin roof shell, fiberglass tape the cut seams, and glue back the headlining; or 2)to peel back the headlining, drill a series of 1/4" holes a few inches apart across the entire rotted/soft area, clean out the loose wood with a bent coat hanger, shoot the holes full of expansion foam, clean off the excess, fiberglass over the holes, and glue back the headlining. Any recommendations from those of you who have done or had done for them such repairs? I see this as a winter project either way, depending on temperatures, or course. Please let me know your experiences or recommendations. Thank you. Hy

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Repairing soft bow deck

Pic's would help.
I don't think I would personally go the foam route. Like I said PIC's would help.
Have a great day.
Bob

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, pictures wouldn't show anything until I cut it open. The deck looks fine imside and out. When I stand on it I can feel it bounce or give a little. When I tapped on it, I could hear the difference between the sections that are "tight" and those than seem to have separated. The bow, in my judgement is three layers: outer shell, core (probably plywood) and inner shell. My feeling is the core has rotted in spots. My gut feeling is that I will have to cut away the inner shell and replace the core. I'm hoping for some input from someone's who's done it as to how to proceed, what materials to use, pitfalls, and other advice. Hy

BobsGlasstream

Commander

littlebookworn,
I am by no means an expert, all I can tell you is what I have done and am currently in the process of doing. I don't have a lot of time to work on my boat but this is what I'm attempting to do.
I have a similar problem. I plan to cut the deck loose at the hull as close as possible. I want to use it as a template to cut the new deck. Pry off the old deck and inspect the lower structure and replace what needs to be and reseal the rest to make sure it is water tight. What I have seen so far most of the rot seems to be around the gas tank, and a least one of the stringers. As I get into it deeper I will make the other decisions as needed. I have a 4.5 inch angle head grinder with a thin cutting blade. Most of my deck appears very solid, in respect to looks and feel.
Hopefully some others will chime in that have more experience then me. Good luck on the repair.
Have a great day.
Bob