Repairing Plexiglass Windshield

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I removed my windshield from the helm it broke in half. I could not find a replacement so I'm thinking of trying to glue it. From what I've read Weld-On 4 would do the job and I would think I'd need two clamps. Has anyone had any experience doing this?

alldodge

Staff member
Have not tried that but what about buying a piece of lexan (better then plexiglass) and bend it to fit?

LoringDrive

Recruit
  1. Drill a fine, tiny hole at the end of the crack. If the crack stretches across the windshield, go to the tip of its reach and drill the tiny hole.
  2. Fill the crack with Plexiglas adhesive.
  3. Use the rotary polisher to buff and polish over the sealed crack.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
find a local plastics supplier in your area. they also have manufacturing capabilities.

bring them your old broken window

in a day or two pick up a new window that matches.

Polycarbonate (lexan and other trade names) can be dificult to form. it is usually heat formed.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
find a local plastics supplier in your area. they also have manufacturing capabilities.

bring them your old broken window

in a day or two pick up a new window that matches.

Polycarbonate (lexan and other trade names) can be dificult to form. it is usually heat formed.
Plastic guy wants $600 for a 19" windshield. I can buy a console for less than that.

alldodge

Staff member
Have not seen what it looks like
But sounds like your local guy doesn't have the equipment to do it. They will either be buying the equipment to do it, or sending it out for another to do it

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Plastic guy wants $600 for a 19" windshield. I can buy a console for less than that.
local guy by me gets about $100 for a windshield with 3 bends. $80 for a single bend.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
search eBay: Acrylic Plexiglass Tinted Plastic Sheet 1/8" Thick You Pick The Size Color, a local automotive glass company should be able to cut to the right shape and round off the edges for you , I'd estimate under $200 to do the whole thing if you took it there
first, ebay is way too expensive
second, 1/8" is way too thin

most are 1/4" minimium

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Legalfee, did you ever get your windshield back?
Not yet. They said I should get it around April 15th. Also they said they would not drill the four holes but would include a bit. That makes me nervous that it might crack.

MRS

Commander
Maybe have them send you a sample piece so you can test drill on it first? Start small and slow with good sharp bits hope it works out for you.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
sharp bit, nothing to worry about. make sure to chamfer the edges.

MRS

Commander
Looks like they did a great đź‘Ť job on it. Now mount that sucker and go boating .