Repairing Diamond Battery Locker Panel on 08 Regal 2200

mckaras

Seaman
Hello! I'm looking into some insight on what I should use to patch these holes on my battery locker panel on my Regal. I have already sourced the pattern from Gibco and the correct gelcoat from Spectrum.

My only issue is what epoxy/filler I should use to fill the holes so that I can re-gelcoat it. The top side and bottom side of the panel have a thin glass layer however the bottom appears to be more of a plastic material bonded with some glass.

I have attached some pictures so that you can see what I am working with, I'll be cutting out the area that is damaged and removing the foam that is sandwiched in between the panels to fill it with an epoxy/filler.

Attachments

• IMG_6443.JPEG
    IMG_6443.JPEG
    829.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6444.JPEG
    IMG_6444.JPEG
    802.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6445.JPEG
    IMG_6445.JPEG
    963.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6446.JPEG
    IMG_6446.JPEG
    668 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6447.JPEG
    IMG_6447.JPEG
    736.6 KB · Views: 12

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like the hatch got into a heck of a fight. :unsure: 🤪

Assuming that you are going to be using a polyester resin & gelcoat in your rebuild (along with some fiberglass), you could just use some of the same resin mixed with a glass filler to prep the holes.

That Gibco stuff is pricey . . . the last time I looked into them, it was about $55/sq ft . . . or a whole (big) sheet for $750 :oops:
🤪

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would buy a new panel from regal.

alldodge

Staff member
As much as I would love to I already went down that rabbit hole trying to source one... They don't have them in stock apparently.
Don't know if regal is like formula, but they will order one for you but the cost is real high

mckaras

Seaman

Assuming that you are going to be using a polyester resin & gelcoat in your rebuild (along with some fiberglass), you could just use some of the same resin mixed with a glass filler to prep the holes.

That Gibco stuff is pricey . . . the last time I looked into them, it was about $55/sq ft . . . or a whole (big) sheet for $750 :oops:
🤪
Sure did! I was not aware of the damage that panel took until I got down there to pick up the boat... I already ordered the Gibco pattern wasn't cheap but $190 shipped for a 2x4 sheet of it. I already ordered the gel for it as well, perhaps I'll try to redo a quarter of the panel and see how it turns out, but seems like redoing the entire panel is the best bet for it to look consistent.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes on the top it is glass covered for sure, bottom side looks glass covered but it has some sort of plastic material it's mixed into.
Looks like Ted has the right idea. Mix resin and fiber

mckaras

Seaman

🤪
I took it to a fiberglass/gel guy in GA and he told me the material is some sort of polyeurethane plastic on the bottom that was glued into the fiberglass portion. He told me resin would not stick to it and instead use an epoxy to fill the voids.

mckaras

Seaman
Don't know if regal is like formula, but they will order one for you but the cost is real high
I talked to Singleton Marine here that is a Regal dealer and they mentioned that they cannot get one for me at all. Generally for small panels like these the cost isn't awfully high, I've ordered other replacement parts from them before. Just in material itself it will run me roughly about $500 to fix.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As much as I would love to I already went down that rabbit hole trying to source one... They don't have them in stock apparently.
You are correct. They make it to order - a service order takes about 6-8 weeks