Repair of screw holes and gelcoat chips in transom

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I'm moving the pitot tube and a fish finder transducer by some inches to make room for a set of SmartTabs. In the process, I pulled the old screws out and found that a couple had created some chips and cracks in the gelcoat. The transom otherwise is in very good shape.

It looks like the worst chip or flake is about 3/8" by 3/8". Most are far smaller.

I'm trying to figure out to repair this. One approach would be to apply gel coat patch material (a little tube of stuff for patching scratches), or use some 3M 4200.

Any suggestions or better ideas?

Thanks in advance,

johnbo

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Repair of screw holes and gelcoat chips in transom

Fill the holes with marine epoxy then tough up the gelcoat. I do not believe that a gelcoat repair will adhere to 4200...... walmart, napa most places sell the 2 part marine epoxy that you can cut off a chunk and mix by hand. It is made for all uses above and below water lines and dries hard. Then use a small gelcoat kit over that.

Reinellchris

Seaman Apprentice

short strand kitty hair will also work well for fixing holes.
just have to make it as flat as possible cause it's hard sanding

ManOfwar690

Seaman

i like to use cavasill and resin with just a drop of hardener fill the holes smoosh it in deep then gellcoat the hardener from the gellcoat will cook off the resin and be a fix that will last forever

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Check out Marine Tex.