repair holes in bottom of hull

spencer4572

Cadet
OK i have a sears game fisher and i am trying take out my middle bench seat to make a flat platform kind of like a casting deck. i am using a heat gun hammer and flat head screw driver. i accidentally drove the flat head through the bottom of the boat and now i have like 3 or 4 holes in the bottom hull. im freaking out and idk what to do. did i ruin my boat or can this be easily fixed?

thanks, Spencer

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: repair holes in bottom of hull

They've made both aluminum and fiberglass boats over the years, so which one is yours made from?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Plug the holes with Marine-tex or some other putty,....

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

spencer4572,

Why did it take two jmore holes after the first one to realize your plight?:confused:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay.... your Hammer and Screwdriver privileges are now suspended!! :eek: Just put them down and don't go back to them!

Take some time to read though some of the grinding threads about removing fiberglass with a grinder. Don't feel bad :( and I will swear you are not the first NOR will you be the last to put a hole in the hull.

Yes, as stated above marine tex will repair the hole and so will fiberglass resin and cloth available at just about ANY auto parts store.

You are having a good start here on iboats! ;)

spencer4572

Cadet

hey thanks guys. you are so helpful.im a newbie at this kind of stuff. this is my first boat and im doing everything by myslef. ill takes some pics of what im doing to give u a better idea

spencer4572

Cadet

hey guys i dont really know how to do the cloth/mat and resin for the fiberglass so i picked up some quicksteel all purpose sealant. it is a steel reinforced putty that bonds to fiberglass, aluminum, etc. and can be used for marine use. what do u guys think? good idea or no....

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You be better off ordering marine tex right off this site. It is waterproff and very strong

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I've even heard of using JB Weld. Whatever you use, make sure everything is super clean so you'll get a good bond. After a soap and water scrub, acetone does a good job. The reason you would want cloth and glass is if it was a large enough hole to worry about a plug popping out. If the holes are only the size of screws, it might be OK to just plug them.

spencer4572

Cadet

thanks for the help guys. i have one more question. i took my middle bench seat out so i could lay some 2x4's down for support than a sheet of playwood to kind of make a casting deck. all the becnh seats have flotation foam inside of them. after i put the 2x4's in place should insert floatation foam in before i secure the plywood in?

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats a personal choice. Myself, I wouldn't unless going out to sea.

spencer4572

Cadet

would thompson's water seal work for my 2x4's and plywood to help keep from rotting and and all that stuff water does?

spencer4572

Cadet
Putty question?

Putty question?

There are some very small punctures in my boat and im try to seal them up with some kind of putty that bonds to fiberglass and cures in temperatures around 30 degrees

Bob_VT

Staff member
Re: Putty question?

There are some very small punctures in my boat and im try to seal them up with some kind of putty that bonds to fiberglass and cures in temperatures around 30 degrees

I have ti intervene...... marine tex was recommended however " Minimum 60˚F temperature, 48 hours to fully cure at 60˚F, 24 hours to fully cure at 70˚F"

I am not aware of a sealant/putty that works at such a low temperature.

What type of hull is it? Aluminum, Wood or Fiberglass?

Can you tent the area and add a heat source?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

More information is needed on the type and size of the puncture (hole) and why it needs to be at 30F. As simple light will heat the area enough in any type of weather for it to cure well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

:redface:

I stand corrected. Marine Tex Specs does state that the product should not be applied at temps below 55 degrees. But a simple light bulb should resolve the issue. He did state it was for fiberglass.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I see that this question has been asked before and I will combine the posts. Unless you get a heat source on the area....I would not attempt a repair until the weather breaks.