repainting the trailer

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: repainting the trailer

I think I'm going to grind & paint mine. Now I just need to find out how to take the boat off the trailer while I do this. We don't have many lakes near me that have slips I can leave the boat at. I'll try to spray some of the paint into the little holes and ends to get a little protection inside the tubes.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

back up to a good sized tree tie the boat to the tree trim the motor all the way up. place a couple tires onthe ground to catch the back end. slowly pull the trailer up with your truck and set her on the ground. thats how we have done it when i have had to do it.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm....I see that working. How tough is it getting the boat back on the trailer?

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had some sandblasting done for about $100. I did some parts myself on a 16ft trailer.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well got the trailer down to the frame i am going to have all my bunk brackets sand blasted and put new u bolts on all of them. i amd going to have to spot blast the rest of the trailer and i think i am going find some type of rust preventing primer and then a semi gloss black to finish it up. i am also looking at some chemicals to run through the frame tubes and stop the rust in there.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whats the best salt water primers i can use and black spray i can use. i have a gun so its no problem if i need to get it in a gallon size or spray can.