Repaint OMC Gas Tank - Rustoleum wrinkles issue

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had two old OMC metal gas tanks sandblasted in prep to paint. After sandblasting I washed with down with phosphoric etch and then rinsed and dried using hair dryer to get good and dry. Etched with SE Primer. Coated with Rustoleum Professional aerosol primer and let dry for more than 24 hours indoors (70 degrees controlled humidity). Lightly sanded with 3m green pad, blew off loose primer and wiped with tack cloth.

Painted with Rustoleum Professional paint, mixed nearly 1:1 with acetone to thin enough to spray with Preval sprayers and also included Tractor Supply hardener at appropriate amount.

Overall the paint job looks really good except for the rounded corners of both tanks. I am getting wrinkles at all four corners as per picture below. Can I just sand these wrinkles down a little more than scuffing for recoat and go ahead with a coat over the top of it. I can live with some light wrinkles, as it is just a gas can. I just want to make sure I have a sound paint job even if it comes up a little short on cosmetically perfect.

Why did it wrinkle at just the corners and not anywhere else? Again...all 4 corners of both tanks show the wrinkles. Maybe the wrinkles were in the metal during forming of the tank and I just didn't notice it until it had shiny paint on it? The reason I say that is that these wrinkles are pretty deep. I can't see how 1 coat of SE, 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint could generate such deep wrinkles. I dunno?

What do you think happened and what should I do?

Last edited:

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repaint OMC Gas Tank - Rustoleum wrinkles issue

I think the wrinkles are from press forming the tank. You might try some of this to fill the wrinkles. 3M/4.5 oz. Bondo glazing and spot putty (907) | Body Filler | AutoZone.com

I'm guessing the sandblasting removed filler in the wrinkles.

Thanks for the reply GA. Makes sense. Would the proper steps be to scuff the entire tank, bondo areas, sand smooth, spot reprime over bondo, topcoat, scuff, topcoat..assuming I want at least 2 topcoats?

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's the gas tank, if you have good adhesion of the paint, I wouldn't do anything to them.................

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's the gas tank, if you have good adhesion of the paint, I wouldn't do anything to them.................

I can get a little OCD. Thanks for the reality check. I feel better...sort of. Now where can I get that bondo? :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the reply GA. Makes sense. Would the proper steps be to scuff the entire tank, bondo areas, sand smooth, spot reprime over bondo, topcoat, scuff, topcoat..assuming I want at least 2 topcoats?

If you want, that would work. But it's just a gas tank. :rolleyes:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Like many things, the more you do to the tank (compared to how it is now) the more stuff that could be a problem, now or later...........

Though I do understand the need/want to do it over.

I_Have_OCD_T-Shirt.png

ocd_tshirt.jpg

il_570xN.534150262_k1r9.jpg

Pick one that suits you. I'm fond of #3 but am much more #1 then I'll ever freely admit :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What Wrinkles??? That's NOT from the Paint!!!! Paint looks Very nice. 1 to 1 is about right maybe just a bit heavy. I can usually shoot @ 2oz of Acetone per 4oz of paint. Maybe a bit more acetone. So your're close. I would NOT worry about the Stretch Marks on that can. Trust me, once you're in the boat and on the water, you'll be the only one in the World that will ever notice or Care!!!!