Removing seat boxes - Structural?

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
I am redoing part of the floor on a 1988 Maxum 2000sr (bayliner) and the drivers side seat box was rotted and frankly I wanted to tear it out and do a captains chair on the drivers side in any case (although I would have put that off if it hadn't been so rotted).

First, how awesome is it that bayliner couldn't just build a deck, and then add seat boxes and such. Sigh, there is a big hole in the deck that I'll need to patch in, not a big deal.

My question is whether those seat boxes are structural? I don't think I am losing much rigidity since they step down to only about 7" where they meet the hull. Just figured I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any thoughts on it. I could rebuild it fairly easily but sort of want to lose the back to back lounge seats on that side (opinions on that accepted as well).

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing seat boxes - Structural?

Not structural at all.
ripped mine out for a captains chair as well.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the seat bases are not structural.......but the deck is....

if the seat bases are rotted......you may have to do some investigation on the deck.....if it has any soft spots fix them now.!....or you will have to re deck and foam the boat in 2 years.

when you fix the hole in the deck for the pedistal seats......you will have to "beef up" the underside of the deck.

the pedistal will need at least one inch of plywood under and around it......and a full layer of 1708 under it if you can.

there is a lot of front to back stress on the base with a 200 lb person sitting on a pole 15 inches off the ground, and accelerating to 40 mph from a dead stop.

cheers
oops

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

tschmidty, Do you have any picture of this. I have a 1993 maxum 1800sr boat and the deck near the box seat is getting soft and I think I will have to replace it pretty soon. Have never done this before and would like any pointers and help. Picture tells a thousand words. I have carpet on the deck and was thinking to get rid of the carpet and have the deck painted when I put in a new deck. I will try to post pictures when I start this project.