removing outer aluminum trim from windshield

Old man Boat

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2020
Messages
53
Hi all,
I'm trying to remove the upper/outer trim from the plexiglass windshield of the 1963 Starcraft Starmist. I managed to get only ONE of the 6-8 or so clips to release. It's brutal! I tried to make a tool to get it done, but gave up after an hour or so.
Is there a trick to do this? A special tool perhaps? Please help….
Here are pics of the devious little critter:
I circled the little half moon tabs that pop into the hole in the plexiglass.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5942.jpeg
    IMG_5942.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5943.jpeg
    IMG_5943.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,192
a bunch of .030" thick stainless rectangles, about 1" wide, the corners radiused about 1/16" with the last 1.4" bent. then drive them up in there to hold the tabs.

four putty knives and 8 hands work too (no, not a 1-man operation)
 

Old man Boat

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2020
Messages
53
Woo hoo! Got the trim off in about 20 minutes!
I thought of S.D.’s reply and after a day or so of making up things to try, I wound up using utility blades! The ones that you can turn 180° to get another “life” out of the blade. Tapped one in on each side of the plexiglass where the clips are. Then just used a s few driver to carefully pry the plexiglass out of the trim. Thank you SD
 

Old man Boat

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2020
Messages
53
Next step.,
Has anyone used a company to make a new plexiglas windshield using their old windshield as a template? Who did you use, are you happy with the result?
Thank you
 
Top