Removing O/B Motors?

dh4winn79

Cadet
I was wondering how everyone is removing the outboard motor from the transom to the stand? The reason I ask is because I am trying to design a steel O/B Stand with something to help remove the O/B. I also am wondering if it is even worth the trouble. Please share your ideas.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing O/B Motors?

If you are talking about the 55HP motor in your sig, then you just pick it up and put it where you want it.

How long do plan to have on the stand? I say this because a motor stand without a motor on it is of little value and takes up a great deal of room.

If its for short term use, just get some scrap 2X4s and slap something together.

dh4winn79

Cadet

I currently have a stand made of wood, and my motor has been on it for about 12 months. It is holding up real well and is sturdy enough for me to run the motor full throttle and not move. I can lift the 55hp, but it does strain the back and really hurts the forearms, as there is nowhere to really get a hand hold.

I guess another question is, do people use the stands to primarily store their O/B's and do some mechanical work? Do you but the motor back on the boat to run tests or do you run it on the stand?

I was thinking with the steel stand you would need to be able to disassemble it for storage when it is not in use, that why it isn't taking up a lot of room.

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,

Excellent design. I just finished building off your design, but made it just a bit bigger.

I am 2 days away from removing a 100hp Johnson from boat and was curious if you think your design would handle about 300lbs +

I am 225lbs and was sitting on it and there was no give anywhere.

Will post some pics in a few days.

Thanks

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found with my Mercury 115 that a lifting eye, a strong horizontal overhead tree limb, and a come-along, ratchet-type puller work great for lifting the engine off sans a garage. Crude, but very effective.

tallcanadian

Captain

Not sure why you want to take it off your boat. Seems like a lot of work...However, If I could, I'd take mine off and bring it into the warm house...:D

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

I built jacks to set on each end of a garage joist with a 2 x 6 set along side the joist & it'll hold hundreds if not thousands of pounds. I just take it apart & store it on a side wall when not in use. It was less than $20.00 including the lags I bought.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy173/Fisherball1/Motor Swap 9 07/HPIM1976.jpg

Thart's a 435# Johnson 115 hanging with no flex at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure why you want to take it off your boat. Seems like a lot of work...However, If I could, I'd take mine off and bring it into the warm house...:D

Need to check transom for leaks as wood seems wet. Plus storing in garage for winter out of the -50 temps we get. Boat won't fit with trailer in garage.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Need to check transom for leaks as wood seems wet. Plus storing in garage for winter out of the -50 temps we get. Boat won't fit with trailer in garage.

Holy crap Digger.. do you visit Santa on the winter weekends LOL.. -50 man. See us glassers dont like cold :) but holy hell .. - 50 .. Id move to florida :)

Fisher.. ( Im assuming you have that baby bolted to your Trusses ? ) I would put some knee braces from your floor to your stand.. you triangleated the side to side..but not too and fro sorta speak :) I only see one lag at the bottom in your pic ( my eyes are bad though ).

YD.

dh4winn79

Cadet

ddiggerr - I found a response in one of my older threads that said they put a Johnson 150 on the stand with no problems:

"I made the stand just a bit taller and mounted my Johnson 150 to it, no problems. I have moved around quite a bit during my resto project. Wouldn't dare start the engine on it though, but maybe I am being overcautious.

Excellent stand for quick assembly and low cost!

Thanks for the detailed plans." - ryand895

Hopefully that helps. I don't know how much wieght my stand will hold. It is pretty solid. I have run my 55hp on full throtle and it didn't move, and that was after it sat outside with the motor on it for a year. Hope that helps.

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

has anyone tried using a regular engine hoist to lift their OB off the transome then on a stand?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did and it was easy and quick and I did not need a lifting eye as there were 4 heavy duty cover mounts to lift it by.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

has anyone tried using a regular engine hoist to lift their OB off the transome then on a stand?

Sure. Works fine; especially when your engine lifts from the crankshaft threads like mine does. Screw in a lifting eye and up she goes. some other engines would require different methods of attachments; often in the form of strap-harness gadgets. Like this:

453281_l.jpg

As for the stand...I would pay $45.00 for one of these in the picture. From Harbor Freight...and modify it with a piece of 2x10 to accomodate my engine.

The $45.00 one holds 750 pounds....more than most any outboard by far.

image_216.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32915.html

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Sea k.....as you know this engine stand was designed for automotive type engines, with the weight extending back over the extended 3rd leg.....by doing what you suggest, the weight will be centered on the vertical post as the powerhead will extend over it to the right(where there is no leg to prevent it from tipping over backward!! IF the adjustable 3rd leg can slide completely thru the sleeve its in to extend on what would be the backside, you could ten add a castor and have a well balanced, safe O/B engine stand.......Just a thought...........Jim

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I did and it did not work very well. The major problem was the legs on the engine hoist ran into the legs on the stand I built. I should have taken this into account when I built the engine stand. But now I have a hook in my garage ceiling which would have made it a piece of cake.

I made a plate with an eyebolt in it that screwed into the 3 taps on the engines flywheel to lift from. Nice and balanced.

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses, I may not have to take the OB off, but I'm glad i have a better idea of how to do it if it come to that.

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

Heres some pics of the stand with motor finally on it. Only took an hour to get it off. Easier than I thought it would be.

Attachments

• IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3975.jpg
    IMG_3975.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

Sure. Works fine; especially when your engine lifts from the crankshaft threads like mine does. Screw in a lifting eye and up she goes. some other engines would require different methods of attachments; often in the form of strap-harness gadgets. Like this:

453281_l.jpg

As for the stand...I would pay $45.00 for one of these in the picture. From Harbor Freight...and modify it with a piece of 2x10 to accomodate my engine.

The $45.00 one holds 750 pounds....more than most any outboard by far.

image_216.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32915.html

I bought a cummins 2 ton engine hoist and that stand in your pic for $125 from craigslist, works great for my 150hp. The hoist works great to lift the boat too from the transom hooks, they are very handy to have around.
Used to lift my south bend lathe from the back of my van too.

Don't rely on 2x10 to mount the engine to the stand , I did that and it started to crack, make up a ply pad from multiple layers.
Theres no problem balancing a 400lb outboard on that engine stand and no trouble rolling it around if the floor is even. It sets just right.
On asphalt, place plywood pads under those steel wheels if its gonna sit for a while.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sea k.....as you know this engine stand was designed for automotive type engines, with the weight extending back over the extended 3rd leg.....by doing what you suggest, the weight will be centered on the vertical post as the powerhead will extend over it to the right(where there is no leg to prevent it from tipping over backward!! IF the adjustable 3rd leg can slide completely thru the sleeve its in to extend on what would be the backside, you could ten add a castor and have a well balanced, safe O/B engine stand.......Just a thought...........Jim

I'm sorry Jim; I don't understand what you're saying. If I mount the engine on a stand like the one in the picture...all the weight would be to the left of the vertical post. I haven't actually done this yet...but I have seen others do it and I don't see a problem with balance.

Chuck