Removing glue residue from vinyl wrapped hull

larrymul

Cadet
A search here didn't find anything related to this. I bought a Skeeter with full hull vinyl wrap. I was able to remove the old registration numbers with a hair dryer but left some of the sticky on the hull. I read that gasoline can damage vinyl wraps if not rinsed off quickly, now wonder what I can use to remove the glue without damaging the wrap. It appears to have two layers, one small damaged area looks like a clear layer on top of the graphics, which I can repair.

Any ideas or knowledge what type of solvent, alcohol or what will do the job safely?

Thanks, Larry
Nine Mile Falls, WA

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never tried to remove only one layer. I would say brake cleaner, however that will take off the wrap. I would check with your local sign and decal shop

larrymul

Cadet
Thanks for the fast replies guys. I used Goof Off on the motor cowling to remove some decals the guy did a sloppy job on, and yep, strong stuff, took paint off along with glue residue, so caution is key, I'll try some on a small test area of the vinyl.

Scott, to clarify the layers thing, I'm not trying to remove the clear layer, only remove glue residue from the surface. CRC Brakleen might be an option as well, but I'll find a sign shop and ask first.

dozerII

Admiral
WD 40 may do it for you as well and it shouldn't hurt the underlying vinyl. I thought you were removing the wrap, my bad, that's why I suggested the Goof Off

larrymul

Cadet
Yeah, I thought maybe I had indeed made it confusing.

So to share what the local graphics/sign folks, who do boat wraps, told me, do not use Brakleen, I assume because of the Tetrachloroethylene, or whatever else it has in it that makes it work so well on auto parts.

Isopropyl Alcohol with a soft cloth, used sparingly, over and over again, is what he recommended. I wouldn't be against using WD-40 either.

I'm glad I came here to ask, otherwise I wouldn't have known what to ask about, thanks again guys.