Removing excess weight

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I read that a guy was removing the airbox from his motor to reduce weight.
Is this done often? There, afterall is no filter.
What about drilling holes in the air box cover for more flow?
John

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Removing excess weight

Bought the dumbest thing I heard today..or the last 50 years... ..(airbox..about point 6 pounds?)..yep... good for another 20 mph..:rolleyes:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's there for a reason, leave it. Scaaty is right on.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Dieting will reduce weight in a boat.No tool's required.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Man, there's lots of things that weigh more than a piddly airbox. Like cylinder heads. And sometimes there's 2 of them. Or the crank. Now that will get rid of some weight!

Or how about the boat? Let's get rid of it and just strap this baby to our belt and see what happens!! I'm sure skis weigh less than a boat......

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know about an airbox, but I know for a fact that after I dropped my mother-in-law off at the dock, my speed increased dramatically.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

...Or how about the boat? Let's get rid of it and just strap this baby to our belt and see what happens!! I'm sure skis weigh less than a boat......

This one's got me thinking. Of course it couldn't involve a large engine, let's say just a 15 hp 2 stroke....

Strong frame to strap on back with bracket to mount engine at the correct angle so that when you lean back against it, it's trimmed correctly. A couple of old school, wide long water skis......

Let's find a teenager to try it!

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Wait a minute now, there's more. Toss the pfd's and the fire extinguisher. Oh yea and take the padding out of the seats and of course you don't need to bring any clothing aboard. It'll all help. Especially if you omit the weight of the oil in the fuel. Chief Chief

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

This one's got me thinking. Of course it couldn't involve a large engine, let's say just a 15 hp 2 stroke....

Strong frame to strap on back with bracket to mount engine at the correct angle so that when you lean back against it, it's trimmed correctly. A couple of old school, wide long water skis......

Let's find a teenager to try it!

Not to far from reality In the 50s the vacation lodge on the island had a couple of powered aquaplanes a little powerhead under a cover at the front with a outboard lower unit underneath, a rope handle/saftey lanyard if you fell off it would stop.Often wonder what became of them.Make a great collectable for boat shows.

Nandy

Commander

John, I dont think that is done often as the weight that will be removed will not buy you anything. I think the key to minimize the weight in a boat is to remove anything you dont need. I get a lot of gear in the boat and sometimes I am very lazy and wont leave it behind.