Removing c-clips on u-joints

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
The manual says to remove the c-clips on the u-joints with a punch and hammer. When I try that the c-clip spins around and laughs at me. What's the secret to getting these off? They are too strong to use pliers to get them off with and I'm afraid of causing damage trying anything else.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing c-clips on u-joints

Try using an awl and get under one edge and work it out using a thin bladed screw driver as well. I've done it before with great results...

thumpar

Admiral

Try positioning it so that when you hit it it pushes more toward the center. Once you can get it started it is easy.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Pair of long-nose pliers. Hits both ends at the same time....

The trick then is to find them after they've bounced around the workshop a few times... :D :D :eek: :facepalm:

thumpar

Admiral

Pair of long-nose pliers. Hits both ends at the same time....

The trick then is to find them after they've bounced around the workshop a few times... :D :D :eek: :facepalm:

I do some work on printers and they have smaller versions. We always called them "crap clips" ( or the other term ) because when they go flying you yell "crap".

airshot

Rear Admiral

I do some work on printers and they have smaller versions. We always called them "crap clips" ( or the other term ) because when they go flying you yell "crap".

Thats good....when I used to work on cars we call them "jesus christ" clips or JC clips because when they flew off you always said jesus christ where did that go?

Airshot

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Apparently, the "engineers" at Mercury decided that style wasn't good enough for the MC-1 and the Alpha 1.

I have been able to get 2 out of 8 off with the punch. I don't have pliers long enough to be able to hit both sides of the clip at once. I might just cut out a piece of metal to serve that purpose for me though. My awls are too weak to use. One started to bend before becoming useful.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Try an 8" shifting spanner opened up to the right gap....

Bondo

Staff member

Try an 8" shifting spanner opened up to the right gap....

Ayuh,.... or an 8" adjustable knuckle bustin' wrench over here,.... ;)

Thats good....when I used to work on cars we call them "jesus christ" clips or JC clips because when they flew off you always said jesus christ where did that go?

Airshot

Ayuh,.... Amen,.....:lol:

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, the two adjustable wrenches I had were too large too work. I've got another one that may work in another toolbox in the boat. I'll give it a shot later.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I try that the c-clip spins around and laughs at me.

Why not use one screwdriver on one side of the C to stop it from turning, and use another screwdriver on the other side to push the other side of the C up.

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^ or, take 2 screwdrivers of the same length, each of them resting on an end of the clip, and whack both of the handles at the same time with the side of a hammer, nice wide deadblow hammer preferably. That should sufficiently launch those puppies around the garage.

UncleWillie

Captain

You are making this WAY too complicated. :rolleyes:
The official Circlip-Pliers are just a fancy pair of Needle-Nose Pliers.

A pair of small Needle-Nose Pliers works just as well. :D
CirClipPliers.jpg

They are not that hard to compress.
If they have never been off before; the problem is the paint is holding them in place.
Squeeze harder!

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are making this WAY too complicated. :rolleyes:
The official Circlip-Pliers are just a fancy pair of Needle-Nose Pliers.

A pair of small Needle-Nose Pliers works just as well. :D
View attachment 192212
They are not that hard to compress.
If they have never been off before; the problem is the paint is holding them in place.
Squeeze harder!

I believe the "C" clips he is encountering are shaped exactly like a "C" in that the two ends with the small holes in your picture are not there. He has no real point to use any tool to squeeze from. I've also learned that these are not what I thought them to be.

Dennis

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, the clips mentioned are different. No holes at the end. And when you remove them they have the habit to jump to places where you never seek :facepalm:

MAL9-72404.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral

What's the secret to getting these off?

i don't know why you are removing the u-joints but, if you are replcing them, don't worry about finding or keeping the clips - new u-joints come with new clips

if you are keeping the old ones, pump the joints full of grease - it will help keep the needle rollers in place in the caps when you remove them, try finding a couple of those suckers when the cap flips out and bounces on the floor

Maclin

Admiral

I got a good chuckle from this, and could actually hear the little random "ping" "ping" "ping ping ping" fading as the clip disappeared... :)

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got them all off. They were so covered in grease they didn't even try jumping away from me. Using a long pair of needle nose pliers I found to push on the ends of the clips seemed to work the best, though it was a tad bit "dangerous." I could have slipped and banged my hand up using that method.

Got the new ones on. I had some trouble with the yokes bending in a bit when I was pressing the u-joint caps into place. Once I had the caps bottomed onto the u-joints I had to tap the end of the yoke out with a punch and hammer to get the grove for the clamp to show up. Two of the u-joint pivots, one on each u-joint are a little tight, but it does not seem excessive... They easily fall under the weight of the shaft and they all move smoothly. Is this any cause for concern?

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

after i do u joints i tap the rounded end of the yoke right by the cup a few times decently hard not beating but a good wack. That releases the "tension" on the u joint the cups will "fall into place" if you will. If you already installed they will free up a bit when that shaft starts spinning and centrifugal force happens