Removed T-Stat cover..no t-stat there,someone removed?

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the t-stat cover from my 74' Johnson 6hp and in the cylinder hole there is nothing. This model requires one, so I will order it and the gasket. In the meantime, can I run it without. I bought some gasket material, various thickness sizes and will cut one to fit. Will I be ok till my new one gets here??? Thanks... Imported FR and IWOMBAT...what is ya'lls advice...?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removed T-Stat cover..no t-stat there,someone removed?

My advice is to put one in. But short term running won't hurt it. If it would there would be thousands of trashed motors out there from all the people that think it's unnecessary. Your motor will run better and live longer with a thermostat though.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would run it in this weather but maybe not after it gets cool out. I would not run it hard because it will not be up to operating temp. I would putter down a crab line though.

iwombat

Captain

Definitely run seafoam at 1oz per gallon until it gets replaced, and inspect your plugs often. It will run cold all the time, so carbon build-up and fouled plugs are something to watch out for.

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice. I found parts at Crowley Marine, Denver CO. And will order them. I appreciate all the help..... Fishermanms