Remove Bell Housing or not KAD44p - DP290 Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danmarine

Cadet
Hello everyone.

Is there anyone who with their own experience or from similar jobs can be helpful here?
The question is whether you have to remove the Bell Housing (flywheel housing) in order to change the bearings on the primary shaft?

It is a Volvo Penta KAD44P and the drive is DP290-e.
I have found a drawing on the volvo pentas site (see attached) which illustrates the parts. It indicates that there is only one bearing and it would therefore like to be possible to be able to take this out from the back? But is this something you have experience with or do you have to remove the Bell housing (flywheel housing)?

I've read around on different sites and it's a question that comes up again and again - just with slightly different drives and motors. Unfortunately, until now, I have not found any thread where it specifically deals with a KAD44p and 290 drive.

Does anyone have experience with removing the bearing from the outside - but especially only if it is the model with 1 bearing and not 2.

So I'm hoping that there is someone who, from their own experience or similar, knows whether this model can be done from the outside (dismantling the drive and pulling the bearing backwards) or whether you have to go through the big trip... ???

Thank you

Attachments

• Skærmbillede (14).png
    Skærmbillede (14).png
    182.1 KB · Views: 8

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No, your PDS has two bearings. the pre 1986 or 1987 PDS's had a single bearing.

here is the write-up on replacing bearings on a 290 PDS

Danmarine

Cadet
Hi Scott.

Thanks for the feedback.
That's what I feared ;) But okay, so that must be the way we go.
The biggest problem is the engines, they are both built into the deck of the boat - so I don't have much of an opportunity to make a lifting device to lift the engine and move it back.

But it surprises me a little that the only thing I can find otherwise about the type of PDS and bell housing is if I search for the drive. Then I arrive at this drawing inside the Volvo Penta (see attachment).

But I have to assume that is the correct one in this case, now that you mention it has an inner and outer bearing.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede (16).png
    Skærmbillede (16).png
    134.6 KB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hi Scott.

Thanks for the feedback.
That's what I feared ;) But okay, so that must be the way we go.
The biggest problem is the engines, they are both built into the deck of the boat - so I don't have much of an opportunity to make a lifting device to lift the engine and move it back.

But it surprises me a little that the only thing I can find otherwise about the type of PDS and bell housing is if I search for the drive. Then I arrive at this drawing inside the Volvo Penta (see attachment).

But I have to assume that is the correct one in this case, now that you mention it has an inner and outer bearing.

Thanks again for the quick response.
Many times you have to remove portions of the boat or use an actual service crane.

• pull the drive
  • unbend the ears on the segmented washers to allow the 6 clamp ring bolts to be removed
  • remove the 6 bolts
  • move 3 of the 6 bolts into the threaded holes in the clamp ring and use to drive the clamp ring off
  • disconnect fuel lines, exhaust lines and control cables from engine
  • support engine with hoist
  • remove front engine mounts and lift motor up and out
  • with motor removed, now you can remove the PDS assembly and do things like clean the bilge, etc.
This is also a good time to inspect and service the steering fork bearings and seals, the exhaust tube, etc.

• once you have the motor back together and ready to go in
  • get 2 new sealing donuts
  • install the first donut on the PDS
  • get motor in place.
  • install outside sealing donut
  • install clamp ring, tighten in a star pattern to draw in, however do not fully tighten
  • align the motor by the 3 pads on the PDS and the associated 3 pads on the transom shield at 3 o-clock, 12 o-clock and 9 o-clock. you want all 3 of these to be within 1.0mm of each other
  • fully tighten clamp ring
  • install front motor mounts, adjust as needed
  • disconnect from crane/hoist
  • reconnect fuel/exhaust/etc
  • re-install drive (make sure to line up the dot on the segment (on helmet) with the dot on the wheel for the tilt sensor

Danmarine

Cadet
Hi Scott.

Thank you for your feedback and always such a nice explanation of things. It is appreciated.

Very nice step-by-step description.
But amazingly enough, I chose to take a chance. As mentioned, getting a lifting device made is a rather complicated task. So I just wanted to start by removing the sealing ring and the outer bearing - now see if it was actually the model with a single bearing?:)
But also because I can't get the drawings from Volvo Penta (the ones where there are 2 bearings) to fit my model - at least they are not identical.

And God must have been with me;) It was the model with only one bearing!:D
I spent 5-7 min. to pull out the sealing ring, remove the bushing, remove the snap ring, remove the small snap ring and then I could pull off the bearing - to finally pull the shaft out....

I have no idea what is up and down in all their models and devices, but in this case the first drawing I attached was actually the correct one.

I subsequently checked the house from the back with a flex camera and there is nothing else to look for.

But big thanks to you and your quick response, in any case :=)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
consider your self lucky. my PDS has forward and aft bearings and the ones I looked at post mine thru the DP-B had as well.

Danmarine

Cadet
Well, it's a little weird.
I was lucky this time.

Which engine do you have according to the drives you mention? - the question is whether they have slightly different compositions, all depending on the engine type and possibly drive unit??

Do not know.

but it was a great relief ;)

postmortem

Cadet
Hi Scott.

Thank you for your feedback and always such a nice explanation of things. It is appreciated.

Very nice step-by-step description.
But amazingly enough, I chose to take a chance. As mentioned, getting a lifting device made is a rather complicated task. So I just wanted to start by removing the sealing ring and the outer bearing - now see if it was actually the model with a single bearing?:)
But also because I can't get the drawings from Volvo Penta (the ones where there are 2 bearings) to fit my model - at least they are not identical.

And God must have been with me;) It was the model with only one bearing!:D
I spent 5-7 min. to pull out the sealing ring, remove the bushing, remove the snap ring, remove the small snap ring and then I could pull off the bearing - to finally pull the shaft out....

I have no idea what is up and down in all their models and devices, but in this case the first drawing I attached was actually the correct one.

I subsequently checked the house from the back with a flex camera and there is nothing else to look for.

But big thanks to you and your quick response, in any case :=)
Can you share how you pulled the bearing off the shaft? I’m planning to do this with my kad43 soon. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.