Removal of anchor pulpit embedded in sealant

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
In order to get boat length within specs for a mooring space we have to remove the anchor roller/bracket from a Trophy 2002 WA Pro. We removed the screws and they were coated with what appeared to me to be similar to old window caulking but I know now it is an epoxy sealant. I was thinking of using an old car windshield seal trick of using a guitar string and 2 wooden handles to "saw" between the bracket and the hull. I am also considering sawing with some braided line instead of the wire. Any thought on this??

I have read of sealant removers and was wondering who may have experience with them.

Since this above the waterline, is 4000 or 5200 necessary or can we use RTV to reinstall the bolts as plugs.

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removal of anchor pulpit embedded in sealant

I'm going to give this a little bump, because I would like to see if anybody has a good answer. I would also like to remove my wooden pulpit just to reseal it because the sealer doesn't look like it is serviceable any longer. Though mine is recessed so this guitar strings wouldn't even have a chance to work in my case.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

In order to get boat length within specs for a mooring space we have to remove the anchor roller/bracket from a Trophy 2002 WA Pro. We removed the screws and they were coated with what appeared to me to be similar to old window caulking but I know now it is an epoxy sealant. I was thinking of using an old car windshield seal trick of using a guitar string and 2 wooden handles to "saw" between the bracket and the hull. I am also considering sawing with some braided line instead of the wire. Any thought on this??

I have read of sealant removers and was wondering who may have experience with them.

Since this above the waterline, is 4000 or 5200 necessary or can we use RTV to reinstall the bolts as plugs.

Heat gun the sealant .. dont get it too hot ( but hot enough ) .. but pressure and a heat gun along with a Custom Butter knife will work wonders for you ;) ..

YD.

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heat gun the sealant .. dont get it too hot ( but hot enough ) .. but pressure and a heat gun along with a Custom Butter knife will work wonders for you ;) ..

YD.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the advice doc.

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice

We finally tackled this problem. Used a 60# wire leader, just scratched the gelcoat. (cant be seen)Picked at adhesive using spray adhesive remover and mechanics picks. Put screwdriver and shim under and pried up. Almost hit us both in the head when it flew off. Too much overthinking...again. The old brute ways are sometimes the best.

PS purchase of anchor retrieval ball negates the need to fabricate bracket and hinge for reinstall. KISS