Removal of alluminum boat fiberglass top cap

I have an old 12ft alluminium boat with a fiberglass top cap (I think it's called a top cap) I was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove it and if I would be able to remove it without destroying it as such so that if I wanted I could put it back on. Pictures belowScreenshot_20221016-210738_Gallery.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the rub strip rubber
remove all 4 million screws
use a putty knife to separate the sealer between the cap and hull
lift (I used ratchet straps to the ceiling rafters of the garage)

pull the rub strip rubber
remove all 4 million screws
use a putty knife to separate the sealer between the cap and hull
lift (I used ratchet straps to the ceiling rafters of the garage)
Do you recommend removing it for this boat or would it be better to keep it on, thanks for the reply appreciate it

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you have to get under it to restore the foam and transom, yes.

however that cap is adding structure to your hull. if you plan on removing it for the sake of more room, you have to add some structure back to the hull.

if you have to get under it to restore the foam and transom, yes.

however that cap is adding structure to your hull. if you plan on removing it for the sake of more room, you have to add some structure back to the hull.
And what would be the best way to add structure with the top cap gone?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
And what would be the best way to add structure with the top cap gone?
depends on what you want.

however based on your posts, you want a simple utility boat. in that case, would be cheaper and faster to sell what you have and buy what you want.

some aluminum utility boat gunwale stucture is a T-bar gunwale, some is a formed channel.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Being an aluminum boat it should be stiffer than a fiberglass boat. Still make a couple of plywood cradles to set the boat on, they should extend up to the rubrail area. And measure everything and document it all before removal, during repairs and before assembly.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Being an aluminum boat it should be stiffer than a fiberglass boat. Still make a couple of plywood cradles to set the boat on, they should extend up to the rubrail area. And measure everything and document it all before removal, during repairs and before assembly.
I think the OP is trying to turn the runabout into an open utility/fishing boat

which would be remove existing cap, create new gunwale and seat structure.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think the OP is trying to turn the runabout into an open utility/fishing boat

which would be remove existing cap, create new gunwale and seat structure.
Ah yes. That would be more work than he needs to do for that. Unless the rail is actually under the glass top. Sure would make it lighter!

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an Blue Star Islander (aluminum hull/ fiberglass cap). I wish I didn’t separate them. My goal is to keep original and all I did was increase the work required to restore. And thus it has taken a back seat in other projects.

I have an Blue Star Islander (aluminum hull/ fiberglass cap). I wish I didn’t separate them. My goal is to keep original and all I did was increase the work required to restore. And thus it has taken a back seat in other projects.
After you separated them was the hull considerably less sturdy even though its alluminium?

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After you separated them was the hull considerably less sturdy even though its alluminium?
Doesn’t appear to be. I have been able to “dry-fit” the cap back in place a couple of times when I moved the boat. It has been off for 10 years.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Doesn’t appear to be. I have been able to “dry-fit” the cap back in place a couple of times when I moved the boat. It has been off for 10 years.
As they are likely different hulls, caps & construction, status of 1 post cap removal doesn't necessarily mean good to go on the other.

@edgepa did you use the boat w/out the cap? OP intends to....

Well, I've went and taken the cap off. The hull and gunwhale seem to be strong enough without the cap attached ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221112-145121_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221112-145121_Gallery.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20221112-145117_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221112-145117_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20221112-145112_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221112-145112_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Nice. I was wondering if the top rail was there. Looks like they simply added to glass top to an existing platform.

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As they are likely different hulls, caps & construction, status of 1 post cap removal doesn't necessarily mean good to go on the other.

@edgepa did you use the boat w/out the cap? OP intends to....
Noted that my experience doesn’t necessarily translate to others, but it appears that these fiberglass caps were added to the aluminum hulls to give a “modern” flair to these boats. I did not operate without the cap because I dig the modern flair on the 50’s boats. 😎

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Most likely the prop is cast bronze and unless it's missing, much cheaper to repair