Removable deck and removable foam for glasser?

sabbath20

Cadet
First off let me say I'm no rocket scientist, but this whole foam thing has kept me up for more than a few nights. I see all the work people have been putting into their glass hulls, what with removing foam, grinding glass, laying glass, figuring out various ways to keep water from pooling here and there, DANG!!! It's been driving me nuts! WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much friggin' work for me. I have always been of the mind set of "let the laziest man have the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it".

So with that said...I've got a $2700 boat, a 19' runabout, that runs pretty good with it's merc 3.0L. I bought it as an upgrade to my 14" aluminum boat and I like it just the way it is. Unfortunately, it has rot. I got no problem taking stringers, cross members and all that stuff outta there to fix it right. I just never want to have to do it again. PERIOD! It's also just a fishing boat/pull a tube or wake-board kinda boat. I don't care if she's not the prettiest thing on the water, I just want mechanical sound/know she will float and get me from point A to point B, safely.

My solution: grind the hull where new glass is gonna be (I understand the reasons for having a clean area for new glass to bond to) but not grind all of the hull. Make bulkheads that will partition off my hull in segments. (Except the bow, that area will still have to be sealed off due to its open bow design and un-accessibility). Line these segments with plastic sheet (This will be once all framing and FG has been done of course. I will most likely use trash bags cut so I am only using a single layer of trash bag). Then use the cheapest piece of 1/4 in plywood I can buy and mock in a deck which will be lined in plastic too. Lay the deck down and commence to foam a segment per normal pour in foaming technique. Once it's all foamed, dried, etc...I will remove said foam from segment (which at this point I believe should be an almost exact shape of the hull and segment from whence it was pored, and admire my handy work:p) and may/may not re-incase this piece of foam in plastic sheet.

I will then complete all segments of foam and construct a removable, water proof deck. At the end of my season of using my boat, I will remove my deck pull out the foam and let everything from hull, framing and foam air dry over the winter. (Not that it needs to, but why not?) I know there are logistic issues to figure out, which I will, but that is my plan.

Now, it's your turn to shoot holes in what I am gonna do. Like I said before, I'm not a rocket scientist, just a railroad conductor who wants to spend his limited free time on his boat with his family, looking at a different way to do things.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removable deck and removable foam for glasser?

Well, that's one way of doing it. You do realize that the deck being attached to the hull, plays a significant role in the overall structural integrity of the boat??? You could possibly overcome that with some ingenious engineering for deck attachment. I would also think that having to remove the seating and then the decking would/could be a hassle but if you want to to that then... It's your boat. Also How would you prevent water penetration into the deck fasteners if they were not sealed and also keep water from penetrating around the perimeter of the deck where it was not sealed?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm a tinner and not a glasser, but I do enjoy checking in from time to time on some of the glass threads to watch some poor glass slob torture himself.

It is to my understanding that the deck on a glass boat has to be glassed into the hull for structural reasons and the glass deck acts as a diaphragm to hold the boat together.

Without the glassed in/tied in deck I think you would over stress your hull and have a whole new bunch of problems.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, J&G. This tinner vs. glasser stuff can be carried too far and get offensive, not to mention technically inaccurate.

sabbath20

Cadet

the water penetration to me would not be an issue as i see it...that's what taking the deck off would afford. Deck off, pull foam, dry out boat. I hadn't planned on doing it every week, just at the end of the boating season, though if it was caught in a rain storm then i'd of course take it apart and let it dry out. Fasteners could be stainless steel I suppose, or could a guy configure some sort of an addition lip that would be placed on the piece you were removing which could be slipped into place under an existing piece of deck, to hold it in place? thus limiting fasteners?

Now the structural integrity of the hull via the deck? That's a good one. Would having lets say a complete deck supporting the front half of the boat, that is to say from the captains chair forward to bow work while having the rear of the boat supporting a 4 inch wide, FG'd wood deck lip surrounding the remainder of the hull to which cross decking would be an integral part, then join said cross member to the under deck cross members? thus lending the strength needed to hold the boat together and still leaving room for making removable hatches?

I'm just throwing things out here to see if we can come up with a solution. thanks for the replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah......we really have to watch out for the tin vs glass stuff...

in the past......we have had great light hearted fun about it.....itching vs being cut to shreads :eek::D

but we really must remember that from behind a keyboard, our light-heartedness can be mistaken.

if i could politely ask......that whenever we take a fun crack at our boat building brothers, that we add an emoticon beside it.

something like this.......every tin boat should be sold with a box of bandaids :p

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I just never want to have to do it again. PERIOD!

sabbath.......did you know, that if you build this boat properly, and when storing, keep the boat covered, and the bow up high. that it could last longer than your life time?

thats right.....dead and buried and your great grand kids will be tubing away on your boat !

as far as your foam and deck dilemmas....

this link

foaming a hull without worry of water intrusion....post 4158 pg 167

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

contains a way to foam a hull, with out ever having to worry about wet foam again.....and if it does get wet thru hull penetration....the foam can be replaced easily.

this link......

will take you step by step thru the entire process of re decking your boat properly

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=543161

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

sabbath.......did you know, that if you build this boat properly, and when storing, keep the boat covered, and the bow up high. that it could last longer than your life time?

BINGO!

The cause of 99.9% of rot problems stems from owner neglect. I'm not saying you've neglected your boat, but someone down the line has.

Exposing your boats interior to the elements such as rain,snow, and sun will age it quickly. The water absorbing qualities of carpet can also contribute to aging.

Keep the inside of your boat as dry as you can and your hull in good repair and it will live a very long life.

sabbath20

Cadet

well darn it, after all my hours spent thinking this out it appears their really is only one way to do it. thanks for the reply's all. i'll have to re-evaluate my thinking.