Reliability of boat covers?

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class
So our new to us boat came with a cover. We had a good rain last night and I noticed in the front storage bin and in the back there's a little water. The cover apparently isn't 100% doing the job. I've always used a tarp in the past and they work! This , not as good. Is this common? Can I tarp over the cover? It is vented.

It's an aluminum Grumman boat. I know it doesn't leak because when I check everything and it looks perfect. It's this darn rain with the cover on outside!

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Reliability of boat covers?

Maybe just my cover lets a ton-I-water in...

southkogs

Staff member

I have a custom cover (trailering) for my boat that keeps it bone dry ... even in some of our bigger gully-washers. So, they can be reliable. You've got it "tented" up properly so the water runs off, I assume?

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure how its getting in. It definitely is though. There's some pooling but not a ton.

Will the water drain while trailering?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

If tented all or nearly all should run off. If the tongue is elevated and the plug out all but a couple oz should drain. You may find a mold problem develops if a tarp is put over the cover.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

If tented all or nearly all should run off. If the tongue is elevated and the plug out all but a couple oz should drain. You may find a mold problem develops if a tarp is put over the cover.
Hmmm it's lurking through the cover somehow.

Maybe it's how I have the cover on? There is an area on the back that has elastic ties. I've just been loosely tying that around engine. Maybe that's not right? It's letting in quite a bit of water - no holes besides vents.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it possible the cover is letting water through the cover's fabric itself???

Should I spray fabric 303 on it or tarp over it instead?

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more point, in winter we have to store outside. Are we better off leaving the cover off and using a tarp or using BOTH cover and tarp?

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a spot on this cover I can't figure out. Towards the back there's a cut out for the outboard motor with elastic cores on each side. Does the cut out go over or up against the engine and what are the cords for and the loops in the back?

southkogs

Staff member

Why not put the cover on and post some pictures for us? It's kinda' hard to get a vibe for it otherwise.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If your cover does not fit well and water pools on it, it will eventually get in. My 10 year old Sunbrella cover lets no water in at all as long as I don't let water pool on it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Lately my problem has been getting caught out in the rain, I think I am on # 7 complete compartment dry out for the season :D I am getting good at it.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lately my problem has been getting caught out in the rain, I think I am on # 7 complete compartment dry out for the season :D I am getting good at it.
Our boat is just 14 feet with a 30 horse so I'm able to drain it from ashore after the rain by lifting the trailer tongue. The water from the front compartment does drain.

We purchased a cover lift from Overton today that should arrive in the mail.

UncleWillie

Captain

There should be no Pooling on the cover.
If the cover is Waterproof, the water will bead up on the fabric like a freshly Waxed car.
If the water is wetting out the fabric smoothly (Not Beading) it is time to re-treat

I use Kiwi Camp Dry. 3 Cans easily cover a one piece cover for a 20 foot boat.
I found it in the Shoe Dept. at Walmart. 3 cans cost less than $25!

The real boat cover stays on in the Summer. (Much Easier to remove.)
A 10x 20 ft Silver Tarp replaces it for the Winter.
If it is properly covered, the boat should stay Bone Dry.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

They're reliable so long's the material's good & it's tented properly. Personally I don't think you can beat Sunbrella. And unless one of my customers insists otherwise, he gets Sunbrella. Guaranteed for 10 yrs now btw. I stitch mine with Tenara, aka 'Gore Tex' thread. Guaranteed for the life of the material.

My greatest advertising tool: a 14 yr old Sunbrella bimini that used to sit atop the fence at the old shop. It was never designed to go in the bed of my lil truck btw. That just kinda happened ... But I digress.

Make sure your cover material 'breathes' a lil bit. Else you may well have mold/mildew problems.

Attachments

• DSCN4040.jpg
    DSCN4040.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it's the original 1995 cover and it looks saturated when it rains. Therefore, we bought 303 fabric waterproof protector and a cover lift. There are ties on the back that I not figure out what to so with. They are elastic

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I've used both a cover and a tarp for years. Never had a problem with mildew or anything. The cover keeps the dirt and animals out while the tarp keeps the rain out. My storage spot is very windy and the covers take a beating. Putting the tarp over the cover greatly extends the life of the cover. I do go through a tarp a year though.

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a spot on this cover I can't figure out. Towards the back there's a cut out for the outboard motor with elastic cores on each side. Does the cut out go over or up against the engine and what are the cords for and the loops in the back?

My best guess from what you're saying is that the rear of the cover would get pulled as low as possible and up against the outboard motor and the ties tied around the motor, to the trailer, or to the boat's tie down points on the transom. Pics would be helpful though.

pckeen

Commander

Hi,

On my first boat, I did use a cover during the winter, then a tarp - we had problems with mould and moss growing. I live in an area where there is a five month winter - during the spring thaw, it takes a while to get the snow off the boat - and during that time, it is warm enough that mould can develop under the cover. The cover actually traps water under it. If you are going to store it outdoors, consider getting the boat shrink-wrapped, if you have a company that can do this. If not, build a tenting structure to allow some ventilation. Lastly, as soon as it warms up, get the cover off to let the boat air out.

Your other option might be a portable shelter - one of the canvas ones. We got one and it worked great!

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update: we got an Overton canopy support system and I sprayed the cover with 300 fabric spray. So far it's working quite nicely!!! Thanks