Reinstalling a lower unit on a Tohatsu 5 HP?

chopper72

Seaman
Okay I am a youtube mechanic. If I can find a video I am usually ok. No Video on how to reintstall the lower unit. I see where the drive shaft and water tube go. Does the shift linkage from the lower unit go into the hole on the left (little light marks it.)? Where does the floppy shaft sitting in front of and a little to the right of the left screw go? Is there a trick to getting this all lined up? Thanks!! 1602607033069.png

pvanv

Admiral
Just reverse how you dropped it. The water tube and shifter linkage must align as the driveshaft goes into the crank.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
To me, the shift linkage was always the problem. Not down where the clamp is, but up at the top where it hits the "reverse lock" mechanism. I could get the lower unit almost all the way in and hit something solid and always thought it was the driveshaft not lining up, but it would end up being the shift shaft hitting the lip in the housing and not going through the hole.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
" Where does the floppy shaft sitting in front of and a little to the right of the left screw go?
That is the upper shift shaft. You don't really need to worry about that one, but the lower shift shaft (that's coming from the lower unit) need to go through the clamp that should still be on the upper shift shaft, then it need to go in the little hole closer to the top of that housing.