Reinforcing My Transom???

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Reinforcing My Transom???

I don't know anything about O/B but can't you just modify the transom and set it up like an O/B without that darn big a.. brace that's on their.

Can't be to hard to beef up the transon do some cuts and glass work on it and buy the right brackets for the motor to hang off the transom.

cp2009

Cadet

produceguy, exactly my thought aswell, modify the top of the transom/hull to fit the engine without the brace, and re-enforce it well. The lenght of the brace makes it all worse in laws of physics.

Obvoiusly just food for thought, I have no knowledge about it other than that occured to me aswell.

bigfrank7313

Cadet

This weekend i am going to place a aluminum plate 45" by 36" 3/8" thick.that way i can remove all of the smaller plates. that way it will distribute the weight more evenly.What do you think?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

This weekend i am going to place a aluminum plate 45" by 36" 3/8" thick.that way i can remove all of the smaller plates. that way it will distribute the weight more evenly.What do you think?

I'm no engineer, but it sounds like that probably wouldn't cut the mustard. You still have no reenforcement from the transom to the stringers (the transom is still carrying all the load). The aluminum plate may take some of the sag out of the transom, but consider the fact you're going to have 600+ Lbs of dead weight on a fairly good length lever pounding against that transom on a rough ocean. Add that pounding with the thrust of the motor, and I wouldn't see a bright future for that transom (more like a watery one).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You need to tie that transom into the stringers/hull. The other problem is that your current transom has already deformed from the weight.

newellchunker

Seaman

bigfrank.......I'm not criticizing any of these guys.........however, if you look at www.classicmako.com or www.classicseacraft.com there are some guys that can probably help you over there. I totally agree with whats been mentioned to you on here. A re-inforcement isn't worth diddly. Go and recore the transom and then re-install that bracket and engine. I've actually got a thread where I'm restoring an old 23 SeaCraft Sceptre and have recored my transom and I'm adding a bracket.

Last edited: