Reinforcing My Transom???

bigfrank7313

Cadet
001.jpg004.jpg005.jpg003.jpg

Greetings to all, I own a chris craft cuddy 21 footer which I went ahead this year and upgrade from a 2 stroke to a Yamaha 4 stroke. The problem is that my transom is warping from the top part of the transom. I redid the transom about three years ago. I believe this happens because most of the tension and pulling occurs in this spot. My question is, how do I reinforce my transom so I won?t sink or lose my engine? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Frank

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 0

bigfrank7313

Cadet
Re: Reinforcing My Transom???

Here are a few more pictures.
Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well obviously it was converted from an I/O to an outboard and it would appear the new transom was not made thick/strong enough.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats alot of weight hangin off the back like that.

You could try making your transom thicker and glassing the crap out of it to the hull.

How thick is the current transom?

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frank, I don't have any experience with that type of engine setup however, it's clear to me that your transom isn't strong enough. I think you're going to have to pull that engine and replace your existing transom. I can't think of a way to "brace" that transom.

bigfrank7313

Cadet

I was thinking of doing some thing like this.What do you guy think??

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You're trying to greatly alter the orginal design, which isn't a good idea. I've seen those set ups before and have heard of problems from them. If you're going to rebrace the transom you'll need to start from scratch and beef it up from the ground floor.

The problem is the wieght / power distrubition vs the design of the hull. I'm not a design engineer therefore I can't make any specific sugguestions, other than that design isn't a good one.

Sorry if that's not what you what to hear.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

i know. so how can i beef it up?

Are you planning to redo the transom completely or are you trying to do some braces (as in the picture)

By beefing it up from the ground up, I mean once the new wood is properly glass in, add some plywood gussest (Large triangles) as large as you have fesible room for and then glassing them to the hulls stringer system.

Maybe YD can chime in here as he would be a better one to help with the engineering end of thing.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know you don't want to hear it but I wouldn't take another trip in that until the entire transom has been redone AND knee braces have been added onto known good stringers. As you know 4 strokes are heavier than 2 strokes given the additional weight and the fact that its on a bracket thats a bad day waiting to happen (imo). Do as you will but please be safe however you decide to proceed. I'm not an engineer but thats not a 14 foot fishing boat with a 20 on the back either...

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I would very much agree do no go near the water with ths boat the way it is!!! you have alot of weight there and alot of dynamic forces created by the motor, hung out 12" supported by two bolts 8" apart wow! You must have a solid brace to the main structure of the floor. I' go at least 2' by 2'. Get a pro to do it. It may mean your life. Go to church Sunday and thank him for watching out for you so far.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Frank welcome to Iboats..

I dont see a way to mod your OB the way your thinking of..

First off..your OB bracket is NOT tied into or aligned to your stringers..so them there angle braces wont do crapola..

This is the kind of mod that I dont really get into over the web.. It can be done..but more super support must be done when modding an IOB to just a Bracketed OB ( 225 yamy is Big here ) ..

I have NO opinion on this mod as it is dangerous and unprofessional to suggest Any way to Mod this without First hand Look and Build.

It can be done..however..not like what your doing from what I see In your pics..

Sorry I will not be apart of this thread ( anymore than what I have said ) .. as it is too complex for DIYers in this forum...

Good luck m8..

YD.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry I will not be apart of this thread ( anymore than what I have said ) .. as it is too complex for DIYers in this forum...

Good luck m8..

YD.

This is what I was afraid of as said in post #8. If YD (which is the resident expert) can't advise, I'm certainly out of the picture too. Take it to a pro and get some estimates...

bigfrank7313

Cadet

Wow I didn't realize the troblem I'm in. Alright I will have a few guys come by, and take a look at it. I will let you guy know what happens.Thank you guys for all of your inputs.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a side note make sure you are using a good transom saver on that if you plan to tow it any distance. It really beats up an outboard when they slide on the asphalt at 55mph.....

bigfrank7313

Cadet

got an estimate. 5000$ to redo the transom ouch, so i will have to A do it myself or B change the hull.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

That's not a bad price for a pro to do it right.....agreed still alot of money, depending on your budget.