Reinforcing Cleats?

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat originally had the standard 4 cleats from the factory, but someone has added another 4 folding cleats for fenders over the years before I got it. The hull is stamped "Fender Only" above the 4 added cleats. I am looking to strengthen the rear folding cleats to be able to tie up to those cleats instead of the rear factory cleats. Every weekend we tie up to a larger cruiser and it is a big step across our boats. If I could tie up to the rear folding cleat it would make the boats easier to cross when tied up.

I know the fiberglass is a lot thinner at the folding cleats (I would guess maybe 1/4'' thick vs. 1/2'' thick at the factory cleats) I cannot get to the backside easily to add more fiberglass, but I could maybe get an aluminum or stainless plate to bolt to the inside. Right now there is only a larger fender washer on each bolt.

Attachments

• DGHDGHDGH.jpg
    DGHDGHDGH.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RTYRTYTR.jpg
    RTYRTYTR.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
factory cleats would have an aluminum plate embedded in the hull for strength at the area around the cleat. simply make an aluminum backer plate about 4" x 8", retain with some epoxy and remount the cleat.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am not sure if I will be able to get any epoxy in it. It is all i can do to reach the bolts with one hand to get the cleat off. Will a plate suffice on it's own? I could probably thread the holes in a plate and have someone start the bolt from the outside while I held it in place, then add a lock washer and nut after the bolts are started.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
mix up some marine tex and butter the one side of the plate

or use 5200 fast cure and butter the one side of the plate

you want the bedding compound to fill the little craters and imperfections.