Registering A Boat In Texas With No Title

Texas Dude

Recruit
Hi,
A boat was left at a building that the renters gave us everything for the rent they didn't pay. I see where people say it's close to impossible to get a title for boats without one here in Texas. Just wondered if anybody had any kind of suggestions. I'd like to fix it up, so I thought about making it and its trailer brand new and then going about it like a homemade rig, is that a possibility? Then there's the 20-horse motor that I probably can't convince them is homemade, lol. I am in central texas, which I heard helps some, IDK.
I really appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need to get the boat registered in your name before you even think of fixing it up

You need to call your local registration office and talk to them

matt167

Captain
Ask the renters for the paperwork. Or charge them for disposal. Texas I know is a sticky state. You could bond a title for boat and motor and trailer but it’s expensive and I think over a year before you can sell. And Texas won’t accept any Vermont registration which is a general loophole

Scott Danforth

Staff member
As Matt stated, Vermont would register it, then Texas wouldn't

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Ask the renters for the paperwork. Or charge them for disposal. Texas I know is a sticky state. You could bond a title for boat and motor and trailer but it’s expensive and I think over a year before you can sell. And Texas won’t accept any Vermont registration which is a general loophole
Really? Where did you come upon that tidbit of info? Unique to Vermont? Any idea as to why? Seems like discrimination to me.........

matt167

Captain
Really? Where did you come upon that tidbit of info? Unique to Vermont? Any idea as to why? Seems like discrimination to me.........
Vermont titles any vehicle older than 15 years with a bill of sale only, and it comes to you as a transferable registration. They also allow any person from any state to register in their state. Most of the Ez title services use the Vermont loophole and have been banned in a few states. I’m pretty sure Texas is one of them

Scott Danforth

Staff member

markfsanderson

Recruit
I'd certainly want to make sure it wasn't stolen . . . there are some services that are like 'CarFax' that can tell you lots about the boat . . . I might consider using that that service before trying any titling efforts . . . .