Record crappie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've been to Clear Lake several times, and fished it a couple...

Never caught much.....

Impressive Crappie

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Now that IS a crappie story. And I thought I caught a large one at 3 pounds. I sure hope he at least gets to eat the filets from it... Imagine catching your creel limit of that size...WOW!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
@redneck joe, I remember the day I caught my 3 pound crappie. A bunch of guys from work took the day off and we all went crappie fishing. Even the my boss and his boss went as well. And we all fished our favorite spots until lunch time rolled around. Then we all met up on a wilderness cove bank and had a large fish fry with all the fixings. And everyone took a few of their fresh catch and cleaned them and fried them up in a large deep fryer on the bank. Was a very nice day with great food and fellowship.

Well right after lunch, everyone went back out on the lake and started fishing again. I was floating along re-rigging the rods and just put a minnow on one rod and cast it out in pretty much open water as I re-rigged the other rods. All of a sudden, the float went under. So I grabbed the rod and started to pull in whatever was on the line. It fought pretty hard and I honestly thought it was a bass. But as it got it closer to the boat, I could see it was a monster of a crappie (to me anyways). I netted it in and put it in the live well.

About a half hour later, the my boss's boss came floating up and wanted to show us his large crappie he caught. He pulled out a very nice maybe 2 pounder. I stated that it was nice...then pulled out my 3 pounder. He looked at it and shook his head and instantly through his fish in the water and floated on....

I guess I should have let my catch stay in the live well, but how could I... It was the largest crappie I ever caught!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah i remember mine; I was about 15 years old (circa 1982) and we were living on a 100 acre lake in Central MO. I used to take my boat (or canoe) to my friends house to catch the bus instead of walking the almost one mile. I was on my way home, and wind was up a bit so just threw out my top water rapala jerkbait, like you in open water and just let the wind push my and trolled towards the other end of the lake. Out in the middle, bam it was on.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
yeah i remember mine; I was about 15 years old (circa 1982) and we were living on a 100 acre lake in Central MO. I used to take my boat (or canoe) to my friends house to catch the bus instead of walking the almost one mile. I was on my way home, and wind was up a bit so just threw out my top water rapala jerkbait, like you in open water and just let the wind push my and trolled towards the other end of the lake. Out in the middle, bam it was on.
Isn't that what makes fishing and live, for that matter, that much better? I mean the surprise is a lot of what fishing is all about anyway... JMHO

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yup, the other three big(ish) fish in my life were all a surprise of some sort.

7 lb bass in Springfield MO fishing with a 'pro' that didn't catch anything that day, I caught 5-6 (same rapala) and the last was an 8lb largemouth on our way back to the ramp. 30 years ago.

15 lb (and only) salmon at the mouth of the columbia river OR on a foggy morning we almost didn't go out in (waited a few hours) and it was right after dad said we'd head back in a few minutes. 45(ish) years ago

15 lb blue cat on the same lake as the crappie I set a pole out with a worm, went and took a nap and when I woke up looked out my window saw a tight line. As I was reeling in it appeared I had nagged a log so I was slowly tugging back in and all of a sudden a big fat cat rolled and started actually fighting me. Thanksgiving day. 40(ish) years ago.

I have pics of the last two; i'll see if I can't dig them up.

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now thats a BARN DOOR Crappie!
When I was a kid, in the 80's, we used to hang out with friends on the Oklahoma side of Lake Texoma. There was a creek that fed into the lake and a wooden bridge with tall railings that crossed it. We would go there and drop a line between the boards and fish under the bridge, the land was private and posted. More than once the crappie were so big they wouldn't fit between the flooring lumber and we had to cut the line. Talk about a heart breaker.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in the early 80's, about 83, Dad and I were fishing the Menomonee River, just above Chaulk Hills power station. he caught a crappie that was about 3#. it hung 1" over each end of the frabil minnow bucket. the bucket was 14" in diameter. we ate it. however had we kept it, it would have been a Wisconsin record. I have to see if I have the picture in dad's box of pictures.

Josh1489

Cadet
I’ve caught more than a few “master angler” crappie in Michigan over the years but DANG that’s an impressive fish!! I’ve never weighed any of mine, 15” is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.