Recirculator Hose Failures OMC

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have experienced four recirculator hose (1/16”) failures on my 1986 Johnson 150 over the past 18 years. All four occur in various locations where the hose attaches to one of the barb fittings on the intake manifold check valves. The failure is always a slit along the hose from the hose end back about 3/8”. Of course this results in a fuel leak. After the first occurrence many years ago I replaced all of the recirc hoses. Just recently I did the same while rebuilding the engine. Even with new recirc hoses I experienced these failures.

I am careful to dress the lines in a manner to increase bend radii as much as possible. The most recent failure occurred on the inside of the bend radius, not the outside which may be caused by the barb fitting tearing through the hose.

What is the cause of these failures? Any tips on how to eliminate these? Would miniature Oetiker clamps or zip ties eliminate this from occurring? Is there a mesh reinforced or better recirc hose option than the OEM product I purchase online?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What is the cause of these failures? Any tips on how to eliminate these? Would miniature Oetiker clamps or zip ties eliminate this from occurring? Is there a mesh reinforced or better recirc hose option than the OEM product I purchase online?
the hose material itself has a finite life. if its made by the same people that make weed whacker motors, that is about 15 months

reality is the hoses probably last about 5 years, then the head and petroleum take their toll

no, the zip ties are a better solution.

get your hoses from your local dealer to ensure its OEM

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Are you using OEM or aftermarket tubing?

How old is the tubing? Service life is typically 8-10 years. The OE hoses on my 200 where 14 yro when the powerhead was replaced

Hoses splitting at the fitting is typically a mismatch in size between fitting and tubing.
My 200 uses 3/32” tubing. Guessing your does as well. If your using 1/16” that could very well be your answer.

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On the two recirculator hose retrofits I did, one in 2012 the second in May of this year, I purchased the hose from reputable online sites. The hose has always been plyable and I'm pretty confident OEM quality. I ran out to the garage just now and found the remaining couple feet in a bag labeled:
BRP-07772568, Primary hose 1/16, Evinrude - Johnson
Surprisingly, this failure occured in only a few months from the new recirc line replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
On the two recirculator hose retrofits I did, one in 2012 the second in May of this year, I purchased the hose from reputable online sites. The hose has always been plyable and I'm pretty confident OEM quality. I ran out to the garage just now and found the remaining couple feet in a bag labeled:
BRP-07772568, Primary hose 1/16, Evinrude - Johnson
Surprisingly, this failure occured in only a few months from the new recirc line replacement.
Right size…if they are still nice and pliable they are not old per say.

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Internal crankcase backfire is what blows hoses due to overpressure. Usually its on 2,5,6 cylinders. Change the idle jets 1 size
The idle air bleeds are currently stock No. 33 (.033"). Should I go .001" smaller to a No. 32 to rich'n it up a bit?

I will add that strangely, I have to hunt for this fuel leak and have found the hose still attached to the check valve barb, but with the 3/8" slit along the hose end leaking. Is this the typical failure for the crankcase backfire or will the back fire blow the hose all the way off the barb without a slit occurring in the hose end?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have even seen them burnt usually within the first 1/2" of line. Usually split right past where hose is stretched on barb. Go to a .032

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have even seen them burnt usually within the first 1/2" of line. Usually split right past where hose is stretched on barb. Go to a .032
OK, I will definitely change the idle air bleeds to .032" diameter (No. 32, p/n 320016).

You suggested this change before when I mentioned I went to the Chris Carson Sport reeds during my powerhead rebuild. I just didn't get around to it.

Can you recommend a source for these?

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I have these on order. In addition to the idle air bleed change, I'll be pulling the air silencer base to replace the blown recirc line and check the others.
Thanks for the help on this Faztbullet !