recipe for a dead bird....

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
and not roadkill lol,
http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/1477665_213327968846426_734949676_n_zpsruhilr8a.jpg.html]

c[/URL]aught this bird on camera while fishing; only had my 40cal and no license to hunt; and it's probably prohibited to do so from a boat here anyway. But thought enough to buy a low milage frozen one on the way home. That was last spring and decided on a fresh turkey for this Thanksgiving, so I've unthawed that one to brine.

Online says not to brine frozen turkeys due sodium that's already in 'em.... but I did with just plain water and a pot of strong coffee in the fridge. Will see!!! hahahaaaa anyway, looking any suggestions for a fresh bird in a couple weeks

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Fried works for me as well ! It's all good ! Sooo what time do we eat ? :hungry:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Fried works for me as well ! It's all good ! Sooo what time do we eat ? :hungry:

yes yes yes we all agree!! Have had 'em a variety of ways and liked them all. Since it's been frozen awhile, figured I'd try the coffee trick. But w/o the added spices suggested in the brine recipe I found online somewhere????

3gals water and a pot of coffee w/turkey in a crisper in fridge for 12hrs. Will know if that's worth a hoot in a few hours...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't forget the cream and sugar! LOL

Haven't tried a coffee brine.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
and maybe i can try the giblets in my French Press......:lol:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
just got off the phone with a friend; he said, "I'd be curious to try some"
me "if it's any good, I'll bring ya some tomorrow"

Trying to be the smart butt he says, "and if it isn't?"
without missing a beat, "then I'll bring you the whole thing!!!" :lol:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
hasn't cooled yet and no fancy feast. Only cooking for self, would never subject others to what I have not tried myself. Like said, only used water and coffee w/o other ingredients for actual brine recipe.

The kitchen is not my place and that 12" cast iron skillet was all I had to roast it in. Tastes really really good!! Made a fairly strong pot of coffee, next time might use two? hmmmmm and mmmmmm! Really very tasty! Glad you're not here!!!! hahahhaaaaaaaaa
http://

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
on a final note... DO NOT feed this to anyone of your guests that you'd rather have sleeping after dinner!! :eek: I'll be lucky if I do tonight - and two pots, no way!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well it sure looks good ! How strong was the coffee taste ?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well it sure looks good ! How strong was the coffee taste ?

minimal, but take into account my coffee taste buds may be accustomed to coffee? Used plain ole Maxwell House; no Whole Foods within a hundred or more miles and I don't do starbucks period!

There's a Serta's close by, but this was just experimental for me. I like arabica beans from Africa, closer to their point of origin - Red Sea region. ALL arabica bean plants in the world were transplanted from this area, at least, so I've heard.
Unless you want your heart palpitating and up all night, do not use two pots :laugh:

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if my plans don't change, will stuff and add all trimmings and do it up for Turkey Day! and maybe follow that brine recipe more closely... It might be no more special than any other bird, but I would have no problem consuming that whole bird by myself! Not going to do that, just saying

I can't be certain.... but it has been awhile since I remember giving thanks before, during, and after I was eating!!! lol