Recently purchased old Naden boat

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Recently purchased old Naden boat

Nice Honda you got on the back of there, I guess you were really tired of dying in the water.

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

This is the first time I have read this thread and had to make a comment.

In my best Jeff Foxworthy's voice:

"If you can't afford a .99 cent "For Sale" sign...and you write the "For Sale" in marker on the item.....You might be a redneck. :D

I guess I need to stop complaining about the tar in the bottom of my boat because it looks like you had at least an equal amount of work to get that **** out of yours as well. Any updated interior shots?

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice

Nice Honda you got on the back of there, I guess you were really tired of dying in the water.

Yeah. I'd prefer a two stroke 60HP but many of the lakes in California have begun enforcing four stroke only rules and others are threatening to. I just lost faith in the Evinrude and since the boat was scheduled to be used all day for a week for a family vacation last summer, I decided to sell a motorcycle I had and bought the very low hour Honda.

It really is a great little engine--quiet, smooth, starts right up, doesn't mind riding around at part throttle for long periods of time, and adequately powerful. When I bought it it had sat for a few months, gumming up the pilot jets, so the carbs had to be rebuilt--a pretty common problem on these motors. To prevent that, I use Seafoam in the fuel if I know I won't have it out again for a month and always drain the carbs when I get home after boating. Since then I haven't had an issue, even after sitting much of the winter.

I've used three different props but haven't found that perfect one yet. I'm using an 11" pitch right now and that allows it to over rev a little when I'm not pulling a skier or tube, but jumps out of the hole and hold rpms just below redline when I am pulling someone. It limits top speed to 30 mph.

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I need to stop complaining about the tar in the bottom of my boat because it looks like you had at least an equal amount of work to get that **** out of yours as well. Any updated interior shots?

I haven't got any other interior shots, although it hasn't changed much. The dash was stripped to natural aluminum and a tach and switchplate installed, as well as a GPS mount. There is a picture above that shows that.

I will eventually strip the interior paint and will probably paint it white. I've got too many other things happening right now to do it, and we are using it often enough that I don't want to disable it.

....and again, spray on bedliner sucks.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I've used three different props but haven't found that perfect one yet. I'm using an 11" pitch right now and that allows it to over rev a little when I'm not pulling a skier or tube, but jumps out of the hole and hold rpms just below redline when I am pulling someone. It limits top speed to 30 mph.__________________

There has gotta be a better way for us boaters to find the right prop the first time. With all the technology out there why do we still have to buy, exchange, exchange, exchange, exchange, well I know you get the point.

ketonic_dude

Cadet

Wow I'm surprised to see so much activity on this thread. No I have not contacted Russ Naden but if you have his e-mail I would take it. Update on the boat I purchased an old fiberglass boat for parts $300 then I'll just resell it for $200 or so. I got a windsheild, new steering wheel and column, exchanged motors. Basically the same motor but the one I exchanged for had only been sitting a couple years instead of a decade or so. I've got my floor in and carpeted, and all the wiring done. I even got an Eagle Magnum 2 Depth finder for $20 at a garage sale. Not a whole lot left. Just put my seats in and paint the outside and she'll be ready to roll. I got the engine started but the water pump is out. I was looking on ebay for a repair manual or rebuild kit if anyone had any info on that it would be much appreciated. In reponse to your question yes it is a 15 foot boat. When I went down to the DMV and got the new sticker it said the boat was a 1960 16ft. I don't think thats right though. Anywho I've been taking pictures of my progress I will post them when I'm done or get a chance. Let me know if you have any info on the water pump. Thanks.

brizander

Cadet

That is such a cool little boat. I'd love to find one like that. Got my eye open.

Z

David Hill

Recruit

Here are some pics from my 1958 N-15 Hawk. Would like to give it a new paint job. Not crazy about the motor and trailer would be interested in selling them. Any ideas on restoration would be helpfull.

swis

Recruit

have a 59 naden.....boat, motor and trailer can email pictures

Last edited:

ketonic_dude

Cadet

I'd love to see what others have done with their Nadens, email is EDIT. Got mine back out of storage a few weeks ago and finished it up. All that's left is to repair the water pump and take it out on the lake. We have a cabin in northern MN so I'll be taking it up there this summer. Should be fun, good luck to you all. I'll have to post a picture next time I log on.

Last edited by a moderator:

ketonic_dude

Cadet

So how do I go about contacting Russ Naden or finding one of those ads from 1962 about my boat?

Ketonic- All you need to do is Google search; naden scoreboards, and you should get a website, although I'm not sure if it's still around. Once on the naden page you should be able to find a phone number and E-mail address,

ketonic_dude

Cadet

Edit: No selling on the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just purchased a 14 ft 1954 Naden boat. Am wanting to restore it as close to original as possible and still have a fun functional boat. Came with a 67 Johnson 28 hp motor. From what I can tell the boat in remarkably intact still has its fold down canvas top. Any information on its history, value? Also advise on where to start on its restoration would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Just purchased a 14 ft 1954 Naden boat. Am wanting to restore it as close to original as possible and still have a fun functional boat. Came with a 67 Johnson 28 hp motor. From what I can tell the boat in remarkably intact still has its fold down canvas top. Any information on its history, value? Also advise on where to start on its restoration would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

All you need to do is Google search; naden scoreboards, and you should get a website, although I'm not sure if it's still around. Once on the naden page you should be able to find a phone number and E-mail address. That should help. Sounds like you've found quite a sweet rig. Good Luck and happy boating!