Receiver Hitch Bolts

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
I just got a new receiver hitch but it didn't come with bolts. Its the model meant for my vehicle, no drilling required, but I want to use the proper bolts to secure it.

Is there anything special I should use? Or just the proper diameter and length ok?

Thanks!

htv

Seaman
Re: Receiver Hitch Bolts

The upcharge for grade 8 bolts is money well spent though Grade 5 would probably suffice.:cool:

Bifflefan

Commander

Id use grade 8. 5's will stretch and cause the hitch to get loose over time.
What kind of hitch is it? all the ones ive ever bought have come with the bolts.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I was thinking Grade 8, but I wasn't sure if something else would be even better. The hitch was cheaper because it didn't have bolts, I got it for 50% off. I can't think of the brand of the top of my head.

Thanks for the info!

NYBo

Admiral

I read somewhere, maybe here, that Grade 8 bolts have lower shear strength than Grade 5. I haven't been able find anything to verify this, though. All the hitches I've bought came with Grade 5 hardware.

Splat

Lieutenant

The shear strength issue with grade 8 bolts comes from a misunderstanding of metallurgy. And has been repeated for years now.

Grade 8 bolts are always a better choice than grade 5. They are infact more brittle, but this brittleness ONLY comes into play with a extreme negative temperature, say -200f. Under normal circumstances they are stronger and a better choice in hitch applications.
Bill

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone! I have no problem spending a few extra bucks on the grade 8. Better then a new boat. Although a new boat would be nice:D Just don't think I'd get away with that one.