Rear Engine Mount Stud Loosens When Tightening Top Lock Nut

cyauch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I swear this boat is gonna drive me bat-crap crazy. FINALLY got engine back into boat last night after over drilling, installing a dowel, and piloting a new secure point for one of 4 lag bots that hold forward engine mount to hull. Feeling son and i could claim a victory, called it night. We didn't secure the top nuts for all 4 mounts; planned on doing that then re-align engine tonight.

So tonight go to install the rear mount lock nuts and the stud for each rear mount starts backing out of the square nut that's under the mount tab. And with the engine in, there's no possible way to get back there with a wrench (that isn't 4 feet anyway and ability to be a contortionist) to hold the bottom of the stud. And can't get to it from the side because the exhaust Y is in the way.

So short of pulling the engine back out and putting some torque on it along with maybe some red loc tite for the square nut, anyone have suggestions? Yea, i probably should have checked it before dropping the engine back in, but it is what it is. Thanks!

Attachments

• rear_engine_mount.jpg
    rear_engine_mount.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 14

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I swear this boat is gonna drive me bat-crap crazy. FINALLY got engine back into boat last night after over drilling, installing a dowel, and piloting a new secure point for one of 4 lag bots that hold forward engine mount to hull. Feeling son and i could claim a victory, called it night. We didn't secure the top nuts for all 4 mounts; planned on doing that then re-align engine tonight.

So tonight go to install the rear mount lock nuts and the stud for each rear mount starts backing out of the square nut that's under the mount tab. And with the engine in, there's no possible way to get back there with a wrench (that isn't 4 feet anyway and ability to be a contortionist) to hold the bottom of the stud. And can't get to it from the side because the exhaust Y is in the way.

So short of pulling the engine back out and putting some torque on it along with maybe some red loc tite for the square nut, anyone have suggestions? Yea, i probably should have checked it before dropping the engine back in, but it is what it is. Thanks!
Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. I was able to double nut it and get the stud back up. If you are patient you can get a box end wrench on the stud to hold it Does not seem like it but I was just able to get it in there. You can’t turn it but you can hold it. I was also thinking about pulling the motor again but I did get it. There is hope!!!

cyauch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks CC. Yea, sore as crap today, but i was able to finally get those tight and everything hooked up last night. Man, what a PITA, but i think the overall pain is less than having to pull the engine again!

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's great. I remember very well being in that spot! I grabbed a nice cold beer after I got the mounts tight. I highly recommend that as a celebration!. Glad you got it.