Read before buying a used boat

cr2k

Captain
If you are considering a used boat:

Please be aware that the winter we just got through has taken it's toll on boats in the form of freeze damage. There are just too many posts on here wondering what is wrong with the boat someone just got for a real good price.

Always run the boat on muffs and check the oil before and after. Run it long enough to fully warm up say 10-15 minutes. Check around the engine compartment for any leaks. Manifolds, engine block, heat exchanger, etc.

Check the outdrive oil before and after.

So many people are dumping freeze damaged boats on unsuspecting people, who will buy the boat (not knowing what to look for) because it seems to be a super deal.

If you are unsure spend the money and take it to a shop for an inspection. The money you spend may save you several fold.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Read before buying a used boat

When will people learn that impellers require regular
replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?
I finnaly figured that out two years ago after running em till they puke for 10 yrs on my boat :rolleyes:

Attachments

• peller.jpg
    peller.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 0

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like good advice.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Cool another Californian

Now I don't feel so lonely :D

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, luckily frozen boats are not such an issue in Long Beach or San Diego ;)

45Auto

Commander

Running the boat on muffs is not nearly enough to find a cracked block. Can't count the number of posts I've seen on here where a cracked block doesn't leak on the muffs but does on the water under load. You should water-test any used boat you're thinking about buying, do all the checks both before and after the water test.