Re Re sealing merc 500 lower unti

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put all new seals and o rings in the lower unit on my 1967 merc 50 hp. After a brief run around the lake my reward is milky oil. So made a psi tool and put 10 pounds to it. The leak seems to be coming from the large O ring that seals the prop bearing carrier to the case.
Now when I put all the seals in I did not use sealer anywhere. Just greased the seal lips and o rings and slid it together. Did I do wrong?
Should I use some form of sealer on the O ring to get it done?
Help...

merc850

Commander
Re: Re Re sealing merc 500 lower unti

bearing-carrier-install.jpg procedure; torque for bearing carr. nut - 110 ftlbs.
tool for bear. carr.

Attachments

• bearing-carrier-tool.jpg
    bearing-carrier-tool.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sure seems like alot of torque for the cover nut. Its just plastic after all. Also, any idea where where this carrier contacts the housing?

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scratch that the cover nut was pot metal. Anyways I pulled it apart and re cleaned everything, put sealer on the area just in front of where the the oring sits, so the water side. Made a tool out of pipe like the one pictured and torqued it down to 110.
It passed the 10 pounds of air test, so I am hopeful that got it. Will update after I hit the water. Thanks for the help!