Re-painting bottom...how much prep?

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been using stripper/scrapers and an electric sander to get the horrible mess of antifouling off my T-bird.

Here's how the best of it looks right now:

2003fjt.jpg

I am going to be painting the hull with Rustoleum Topside. Boat is trailered. My question is, do I need to worry about stripping EVERY bit of the old antifouling off, or is a good, clean, level surface (like shown in the pic, more or less, with some residue) OK?

EDIT: or can I prime over this goop?

Thanks!

Dave
getting there

Re: Re-painting bottom...how much prep?

Honestly, if it were me, I would strip down to gel coat before painting. If for no other reason than to prevent paint failure and then have to fix it. Painting prep is a PITA! So much so that I would only want to do it once!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

in a paint job......the prep IS EVERYTHING.

when you think you MIGHT be done....do it again...then again till you know your done.

i prepped for gellcoating, thought i was done....and wasn't even close.

i would also remove any old bottom paint down to the gellcoat......its only another few hours work. but the results will speak for themselves.

good luck.
oops

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My understanding (I don't have the label handy) was that the Rustoleum topside could be applied on good, existing paint that was well-scuffed. If I take this down all the way, I'd have to prime it, wouldn't I?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yes, but Rustoleum makes a good primer, too. Can't tell from your pix...is it a glass or aluminum hull? If aluminum and you strip down to bare surface, you need to prime with a self-etching primer...not hard to find and not that pricey. If it's glass, I have no idea.

NateL

Seaman Apprentice

After reading your post I looked up this "topside" stuff and I states on there site that it's for above the water line. As far as primer goes a self etch primer is used for metal. You'll probably wanna use two or three coats of a good "high build" primer. If you end up priming it (which I believe is always a good idea) spray a couple coats on let it dry to manufacture's directions sand it and if its where you want it the paint. A good coat of primer/sealer can save you some headache in the end. Not only will it help seal up some bad if ya missed anything, but it will also give you a look at what your end result will be as far as smoothness in your final finish. "Your finish is only as good as what's underneath"