Raystown Lake...Huntingdon PA

2007276SSX

Recruit
Re: Raystown Lake...Huntingdon PA

Anyony heading to the lake this weekend,we were up last weekend and saturday was great we went down to 7 points and had lunch at the resturant and cruised to the dame and back to tatman run all total about 3 hrs was nice to be back on the water.Starting this weekend we will be up every weekend!!! till sept.

1976 Slickcraft

Seaman Apprentice

We're going on Sunday. Not taking our boat, gonna use our truck and pull my buddys boat up there. That way all four of us can ride together in one vehicle as our truck is a super cab. also a good way to split the gas. The boat is a very red, very loud, and pretty darn fast Crownline.
See ya
Jesse

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

we were going to head up on sat. but the weather man says mid 60's with a 10-15 mph wind. its going to be really choppy not a good day for tubing. Looks better on sunday 76 5 mph winds monday 80. Did the water clear up yet??
denny

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

I have put in at Tatman Run and Aitch. I liked Aitch better because there was a gas station close by that had all kinds of tackle and stuff. I think it was called Ron's Sporting Goods. Gas was cheaper there than on the lake. Tatman Run is nice too if your coming from that side of the lake.

Outlanderb82

Recruit

Hi All,

I just got my 3258 Bayliner Motoryacht moved from the Chesepeake Bay, and serviced by Shy Beaver and launched yesterday. It's finally sitting at Raystown Resorts Marina (which makes my wife VERY happy). ;)

Anyway, was up a couple week ago to snoop around, and man have things changed. Major improvements.

I am an avid Striper fisherman, and look forward to fishing the Lake. Does anyone know any good spots? I am a City Firefighter who on the weekends likes to relax, have a couple cold beers, and fishing striper. If you know any tips, or good spots and want to share, I would appreciate it.

We used to boat at Raystown many years back, then moved to the bay. The wife hated the Bay, so back we come after spending over 8 grand in getting the boat moved (what a nightmare that was). It's a shame too because I am listing the boat for sale tomorrow when we go up to Raystown. (only has 120 hours on it) but I want a smaller boat to fish and run around with. :D I'll probably give it away like the last 8 boats, but the kiddos are in college now and so its only the wife and I now. Don't need a big 35ft Flybridge. :rolleyes:

Also if anyone knows of any good eating places, Boat service places (thus far as used Shy Beaver), or any neat areas of interest,,,,, or if your just in the area and want to shoot fishing stories, stop by G dock.

One other question, at The Chesepeake Bay, I had Boat US for towing insurance (never needed them thank goodness) but who does it up at the Lake if it is needed? (I always like to carry towing Ins while on the water) Did I hear someone say SeaTow handles it up there? (I checked their web site, but its not working right)

Anything else anyone can ad, let me know. Pretty excited about coming back to the lake. :) Hmm..wonder if my marine GPS with the upper Ches bay map in it whould be big enough to show the lake on?? Or are there GPS map chips for the lake?? (even though its hard to get lost...lol) I like playing with the electronics while on the water, especially if/when the fog rolls in.

And I was thinking, with the price of fuel, we should all get together various times and fish together,,, and take turns with our boats. Would be way more affordable. :eek:

Well off to help pack for the weekend. Any other Firefighters on here, look me up. We can also talk war stories. ;)

Keep the lines tight!

AJ

aspeck

Staff member

Hey Outlanderb82. Local firefighter/chaplain/pastor/fisherman/boater. Will try to help you out as best I can. I boat out of the lower end of the lake - 7 Points / Snyder's Run mostly. They have made some nice improvements at the Raystown Resort over the last few years, and their restaurant isn't bad. Clem's at 7 Points is pretty good also. Other than that on the the lake, you have to head into Huntingdon for much selection in the way of Restaurants, and there aren't too many there.

Marine Service, I would recommend Jim's Anchorage in Hesston. Family run forever! They had a place on the old lake, they have been around that long. They know how to treat customers, are friendly, and have some good mechanics (my brother is one of them, but don't hold that against them :D).

There is no towing service to speak of, but 7 Points does have a service boat that they use for towing if necessary. I would not worry about paying for tow insurance because most everyone is very friendly and you would have many offers for towing if needed. 7 Points monitors channel 58, if you need them. At least that is what they did a few years ago, but I have been a bit out of that loop for a while, so I am not positive if that is the channel they still monitor, but I think it is.

Now, for the most important part of your question, Striper fishing. Lot of different options, depends on how you like to fish for them. Live Trout work well, just about everywhere. Good concentration off the flat outside of Trough Creek, and also back around the Island in James Creek. Also good population off the flat at 12, across from 10, down at 6, and at the mouth of the Snyder's Run cove. Always a good population around the spillway. Or, you can watch for them to school the shad to the surface and hit them with Big Silver and Blue Rattle Traps, Rapalas, or 3/4 inch white bucktail jigs with 5 inch white trailers. I like the snatrix.

There are a bunch of different patterns for the Stripers, and to be honest, the last couple years I have been too busy to follow the schools around and pattern them, so I am going off of last year's knowledge. I used to be able to give you times, depths, etc, but don't feel comfortable doing that until I get some time to hang some this year.

Muskies, troll the flats in about 40 feet of water with 7 inch rapala (natural perch) or a red/white swim whiz. Run one lure about 10 feet down and the other about 20 feet. Plan on one over 40 for every 8 man hours of trolling you do.

Bass are hitting well right now. Soft plastics are working well, as are deep diving crank baits.

If you need anything else, sent me a PM and we can swap phone numbers. Station 6, McConnellstown, is my station. Hope to see you on the water some time, and I can always use an excuse to fish.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone going to the lake this weekend?

I saw the forecast was not the greatest. I'm thinking about it.. it's a long 2hr drive for not knowing what the weather is going to do.

LSM

Seaman Apprentice

We will be up. We are going to be out till Monday. The weather man never knows what is going to happen. Last weekend they where calling for rain. But we never got none. It was a nice weekend. Hope the same thing for this weekend.

aspeck

Staff member

Just checked the satellite ... fairly large storm to hit in the next hour or so and should rain most of the night. Chance that tomorrow afternoon will be clear, and Saturday and Sunday are hit and miss. Rains that come will probably not last long. Potential for a busy weekend at the lake. If you see an old red Skeeter SS-1 running around like a crazy man is driving, give a wave and a yell!

lunker0477

Cadet

will be up there friday morn till sunday .sleeping on pontoon blue &teal 241 jc neptoon full enclosure .anybody know if theres any fireworks on water.coming from maryland.thanks happy 4th

aspeck

Staff member

I think there is fireworks at Raystown Resort, but not sure what night ...

aspeck

Staff member

Rain very spotty yesterday - today is a total washout ... bummer.

aspeck

Staff member

Hey, afternoon got nice - just got back from the water, but as bunch of people at the Ricky Lee concert ... great time and not much traffic - just a bit of debris uplake.

LSM

Seaman Apprentice

One of our dock mates started a new forum for our marina at Raystown. If you would have any questions about the lake you might be able to get your answerer there. Here is the site www.lakeraystownresortmarina.com