Raystown Lake...Huntingdon PA

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Raystown Lake...Huntingdon PA

been there 3 times last year and its not bad. prefer late spring. gets too crazy in the summer. im 2 hours out so its just a few times a year thing.
Denny

luckytempo93

Cadet

i was there for Memorial Day last year and i hyst missed a small aluminum boat sunk from a big cabbin boat. i tried to find it with my fish finder but it was no luck. i think it was at the first bridge from mile 1 to mile 9. somewhere between there. and i was in a cove where the park was for a firework show. my first time in the dark with other boats. i kinda knew the lights and what they ment. i started to pull out and the wake from a huge boat almost made my 17foot bass boat take on a bow full of water. and than you could not navigate b/c there was so much fog going aroung the bends to mile marker 1. luckly i didnt hit anything but that weekend is one of the busyest days of the year.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

I'm about an hour and a half out, and I can't wait to get up here! I just got a call from the shop today, that my boat is now running again and ready for action. That makes two of us!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone else get up to Raystown this weekend (May 3rd)? I got up there for the first time, and the GPS directions on the way home were TERRIBLE. My GPS unit tried to take me through a farmers field and across the stream down a dirt road.
Raystown was a lot of fun while I was there. The water was heavily stained and filled with debri. I launched at Tatman Run. It was very peaceful.

raystown05032008002ef9.jpg

LSM

Seaman Apprentice

We were up for the weekend. Took a ride Sun. Hope the lake clears up soon. Haven't seen it like this for a while.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to try and get up there this weekend if the weather is not too shabby.. I see they are calling for precipitation 40% chance. They called for it last saturday too 30% and it was beautiful til about 5pm.

aspeck

Staff member

Forcast isn't looking too great for this weekend, but that is still too far away to be certain.

What part of South Central PA are you from, nrf414.

aspeck

Staff member

Cool, I visit Shippensburg a good bit ... Used to be good friends with Tom Mouse, Mouse Used Cars, if you knew him. Looks like tomorrow afternoon (rain clearing out by 11 am) into Sunday afternoon should be clear and sunny, but not as warm as one would like for boating. Have a great day.

harp96sho

Cadet

taking the wife up for the first time this year this weekend. I was up a few weeks ago and it was great weather and water. I don't think this weekend will be as nice, either way. But who needs perfect?!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

The Mrs. and I made it up this weekend. I work 2nd shift and didn't sleep at all friday night. Too stoked about getting all the gear ready prepping for in case of rain so on and so forth. We sat in the truck for probably the first 45 minutes waiting for the rain to slow up, then it was golden then rest of the day. Anyway we had a great time... Camped at Nancy's. Friendly neighbors were nice, very peaceful.

TIP- If you're looking for Nancy's and it is not on your GPS, grab a paper map of the lake for free at the marina or resort. It could save you some gas.

1 more thing... The resort closes at 5 so if you're planning on running out of gas, make sure you make it there before 5pm on Saturday. ;)

raystown05102008019sv8.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great picture nfr414. I so badly want to get up there for a weekend but we have an 8 month old and I think I'm not going to get to do too much that I want to do this year.

aspeck

Staff member

Cool! Glad you had a great time! Yep, weather was beautiful from about Noon on Saturday till 1pm on Sunday - then the wind started picking up and soon after that the rain began to spit ... and grow to what we had last night. It is spitting again now, and all the creeks are rather high and brown - that means the upper end of the lake will be brown the rest of this week, but the lower end should still be clear.

LSM

Seaman Apprentice

We had a good weekend also. The weather was better then we thought. Sure hope we soon get a nice weekend for the whole thing. Can't wait till we stay on the water. We might go out for the this weekend. I hate to see how brown the water is around the Resort this weekend with all the rain.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If they didn't diagnose co poisoning, then hypothermia would have crippled him in a couple of minutes that water is probly way too cold for swimming.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^ doubt it, my buddy went swimming in lake Tahoe in February for 7 minutes, and he was just fine. i think it was something like 39 degrees when he went it

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

We had a good weekend also. The weather was better then we thought. Sure hope we soon get a nice weekend for the whole thing. Can't wait till we stay on the water. We might go out for the this weekend. I hate to see how brown the water is around the Resort this weekend with all the rain.

Where did you guys stay?

2 weekends ago the southern end of the lake was terribly polluted with debri...

Did anyone hear the results of the tourney they had last weekend?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I so badly want to get up there for a weekend but we have an 8 month old and I think I'm not going to get to do too much that I want to do this year.
We're in the same boat, if you'll pardon the pun. I'm waiting to see how well she takes to the water and the boat, but overnighting will probably be out for us this summer.....unless I figure out a good excuse to get out by myself..;)...hmmm, better start thinking.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone else going to be up at Raystown tomorrow? I'm going to try and get up again for the 3rd weekend in a row. The only thing that will stop me is the weather tomorrrow.

aspeck

Staff member

Yesterday's morning weather was nice, but the evening weather got a little nasty ... and this morning not so good either. Nicer this afternoon.

We were busy with Relay for Life Friday and Saturday morning and ready for sleep Saturday afternoon (up for 30+ hours because of Relay)! Next weekend we will be in Shippensburg for our Church Conference, then I have 1 weekend before I have to go to KY for niece's wedding. I might get out on the Lake over a weekend.

If you are talking about the Striper tourney, it went pretty well. Some nice fish were caught. A few friends finished in the top 10.