Raw water pump kit differences

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im looking to replace the water pump again. Ebay kits sell for $40 but mercury kits sell for $180. Assuming both are made in Chyna, is there a dimes difference between them? They look identical.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Im looking to replace the water pump again. Ebay kits sell for $40 but mercury kits sell for $180. Assuming both are made in Chyna, is there a dimes difference between them? They look identical.
Merc kit probably includes the housing - what drive is this for? normally say for a gen 2 they offer a kit with with impeller wear plate and gaskets . If for a gen one they use a plastic housing that I would replace but the stainless housing on a Gen 2 dont need to replace unless it was run way dry or got scored up

Always use the oem impellers most of the aftermarket stuff is junk. In fresh water I get more than 6 years out of a OEM impeller.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alpha one Gen 2 Mercruiser. Full kits. I also have a spare impeller from another parts kit which has a metal core vs the plastic that I see on other kits. Not sure its better or worse. I will check it for iron with a magnet. Dont want anything that rusts. and fuses to the shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.png
    IMG_4441.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Alpha one Gen 2 Mercruiser. Full kits. I also have a spare impeller from another parts kit which has a metal core vs the plastic that I see on other kits. Not sure its better or worse. I will check it for iron with a magnet. Dont want anything that rusts. and fuses to the shaft.
This is what I have used and will last for years

$40 for a full kit is junk don't waste your time.

You can order that part number merc kit from many sites. I changed mine after 6 years and 270 engine hrs and it was new looking. I replaced it because I was in there but not worth screwing around with other parts given how long they last and how critical it is.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I agree. The water pump is not something to scrimp on.
Yeah I wish I could find the thread where the guy was bitching about not being able to change his alpha out on the water like you might be able to do with a crank driven pump... when asked what impellers he was blowing through he was using cheap aftermarket ones...