Random No Start with Boat

Ltmeat

Cadet
I have a 2004 Four Winns with a Volvo 4.3 GXI-D. Batteries are new and just replaced the starter with new OEM. Boat starts and runs fine 99% of the time. The other day we go out and anchor down for several hours. Time to leave and boat won't crank. No click, no nothing when turning key. Check connections etc. and still nothing. Turn key several more time then it just randomly turns over and cranks. This happened once last year after fueling up and sitting a few minutes. Thinking maybe ignition switch or relay? Any advice is welcomed and thank you.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Those randoms are toughies. Mine was a slightly loose pin in that big plug and connector on top of my 2002 Mercruiser 5.0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of those V6 motors have starters with solenoids that have a piston slide down a tube and physically push the starter gear into the flywheel, and at that time physically connect the electrical to the starter. The tubes can get dirty and cause the starter piston to stick.

If the electrical connections check out, you might pull the starter solenoid and check for proper operation.

alldodge

Staff member
No click, no nothing when turning key
If you hear a beep and then nothing when key is turned to start, most likely the neutral safety switch

Turn key and hold in start position and grab the throttle and move it slightly F/R to see if starter will engage

Ltmeat

Cadet
A lot of those V6 motors have starters with solenoids that have a piston slide down a tube and physically push the starter gear into the flywheel, and at that time physically connect the electrical to the starter. The tubes can get dirty and cause the starter piston to stick.

If the electrical connections check out, you might pull the starter solenoid and check for proper operation.
I hope I don't have to cuz it's a booger to get to... the starter is brand new I put in at the end of last season so it has not had time to get dirty per se. Basically have to install it one handed while trying to get one bolt to start threading while hanging upside down in engine bay. LOL

Ltmeat

Cadet
If you hear a beep and then nothing when key is turned to start, most likely the neutral safety switch

Turn key and hold in start position and grab the throttle and move it slightly F/R to see if starter will engage
I have done that each time it's happened but it doesn't cause it to crank after doing so. Definitely a confusing scenario...

alldodge

Staff member
Might be key switch but to verify it needs to not start and then measure voltage at the key Yel/Red wire.

If voltage is there may be the assist relay or its connections. Small square relay on top motor (should be more then one, probably 3), and can be had cheap at any auto parts store

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't the slave solenoid need to be marine grade? It is after all, in a closed bilge. We do not want sparks.

alldodge

Staff member
Doesn't the slave solenoid need to be marine grade? It is after all, in a closed bilge. We do not want sparks.
No, the ones used in car/truck are the same as in marine. They are all sealed relays. There are different designs like with and without tabs and other things