R&R Gimbal bearing without damage?

Gator5713

Seaman Apprentice
Here are the instructions that came with the tool.
posting both sides for reference incase someone else reads this thread looking for answers.
i also now know what I did wrong.
when the instructions said move the driver head 1/4" and remark i thought that meant to drill the hole 1/4" as the hole in the head is exactly 1/4" inset...
Now i know that it actually meant to move the head in 1/4" so that it would fully seat the bearing! Now back to the drillpress to drill another hole 90° off the first one and 1/4" closer to the end.

Attachments

• photo311460.jpg
    photo311460.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo311461.jpg
    photo311461.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 0

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Actually it does. The disc instructions for the bearing installation tells you how far back on the alighnment tool to drill a hole for the set screw. This will set the correct depth.
If you look at his picture you will see the set screw. (pic #2)

The OEM tool (Volvo, OMC, MerCruiser) doesn’t have a way to set the depth, because you drive it all the way in.

The tool in the picture appears to be some type of eBay tool that “does it all”. I worry about hammering anything in to the coupler. Seems like there is a good chance to damage the coupler.

Gator5713

Seaman Apprentice
You don't say what year and drive you have?

My apologies i thought it was in my signature but i dont appear to have a signature...
the boat is a 1999 Larson 186 with a Volvo Penta 4.3L and SX-m outdrive [i think its a 1998 but I'll have to look].

Gator5713

Seaman Apprentice
The motor is a GL.
here is the tag on the drive. Not sure the year.

Attachments

• photo311500.jpg
    photo311500.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Gator5713

Seaman Apprentice
So I 'fixed' my tool and tried again and if that bearing moved it was so small a fraction that I couldn't tell and I still have the exact same issue... So, as much as I've always preferred serviceable parts I'm tired of fighting this and trying to figure out if there is a V-P SEALED bearing replacement?

https://www.iboats.com/shop/volvo-penta-gimbal-bearings-legacy-igf-269488.html
Is this bearing sealed? or does it require grease?

On Amazon it seems that most of the bearings seem to fit everything... Is this a fairly universal part?
The Q&A on this Quicksilver says its the same as the Volvo, is it?
https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Quic...mbal+bearing&qid=1556912662&s=gateway&sr=8-32

There is another thread going on in the last few days asking which gimbal bearing and I tried following the directions to go through the volvo store to find it and couldn't ever find it...
Since all boat manufacturers use several different motors it would make sense to me that the gimbal bearing would be fairly universal but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Please help!