Quick question about rebuilding carbs: 91 Evinrude 200.

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
108
Am I correct that a motor that hasn't been started in a year, and wasn't treated with Stabil, will need all 6 carbs rebuilt?

I'm somewhat mechanical. How difficult are these to rebuild, and how much time is required?

How much would a shop charge to do it?

Is this motor worth bringing back? It's essentially free. No doubt there are other things it needs. I don't know the compression at this time.

Thanks......
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Messages
22
Re: Quick question about rebuilding carbs: 91 Evinrude 200.

Not necessarly. You can buy carb kits and rebuild them in probably a weekend and clean them while you have them apart. have you tried to run the motor yet?
 

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
108
Re: Quick question about rebuilding carbs: 91 Evinrude 200.

I haven't seen the boat yet. The owner says it has a starter problem. A non-running motor to me is nothing more than a parts motor, until I find out it isn't. I don't know if the 1991 Evinrude is part of the Ocean Pro series, or something different. If it is, then it is worth saving, short of a new powerhead.

I just found out the kits are around $17 each. I've rebuilt auto carbs before. I guess it isn't any different. That I can do.
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Messages
22
Re: Quick question about rebuilding carbs: 91 Evinrude 200.

A starter is a whole lot more money... like hundreds. I definitely wouldn't buy it unless you have seen it run or had it looked at, and from experience a "starter problem" is an easy way for someone to cover another problem. I hope its not but I would do my best to make sure first. If you go look at it I would take a rope so you can pull start it and see what it does
 
Top