Questions on Deck Glassing process

aamyot

Cadet
So, I've read up on all of the available info here on the forum and in a couple books and I'm ready to glass in a new deck.
Its been installed and sealed around all the edges and seams.
There's no way I'm going to have the time during daylight hours to do multiple layers of fiber and resin on my deck all in one shot. I'm going to have to do it in stages.

The resin I'm using is unwaxed boatyard resin from Fiberglass Coatings, Inc in St. Pete, FL.
The bottle states that it will cure tacky.
I'm prepared to have to sand between each layer that I lay over successive days, but I'm thinking that if each layer will remain somewhat tacky, how is sanding it going to work? Am I not going to just gum up a hundred discs?

Also, if I am painting the deck, do I need to do a finish layer with wax? From what I've read, I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions on Deck Glassing process

How long do you anticipate between layers. If it's 36 hours or less you can wipe down with acetone and do the next layer. If you're gunna paint then I would put wax in the final layer. It will be much easier to sand in prep for the paint. Have you considered Gelcoating the deck? Really easy to do with a roller. A bit more pricey in most cases but really durable.

aamyot

Cadet

I'm glad to hear that I can buy a few hours between coats. I'll be doing it each day, so around 24 hours between.
I might consider gelcoating the deck...any idea how many square feet of gelcoat you can get out of a quart? I've found quart for $20 where I'm at. Not any more expensive than good paint.
Would one coat on top of the fiberglass be enough?
Can I mix in grip granules into the gelcoat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

About 15 to 20 Sq ft per qt when rolled on. I'd recommend 2 coats. First one roll on with a normal roller and on the last coat Use one of these
24K692_AS01

And add a 1/2 quart of Cabosil to the mix to thicken it enuf so it does'nt flatten out and fill in as much You'll get a nice textured finish. Make sure and put wax in the last coat of the Gelcoat.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

About 15 to 20 Sq ft per qt when rolled on. I'd recommend 2 coats. First one roll on with a normal roller and on the last coat Use one of these
24K692_AS01

And add a 1/2 quart of Cabosil to the mix to thicken it enuf so it does'nt flatten out and fill in as much You'll get a nice textured finish. Make sure and put wax in the last coat of the Gelcoat.

Does anyone have a picture of the above method, or something similar? I'm going to gel my deck too and am having a hard time imagining this textured look being as attractive as a top coat rolled with a regular roller, but left unpolished so it's not so slick.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

BTW one thing that may not be clear if you gelcoat the deck and do it within 36 hours of the last layup then you do not need wax in the last layup since the gelcoat will seal the last layup to cure and the last layer of gelcoat will have the wax for final cure.

aamyot

Cadet

So I estimated the cost of gelcoating my deck and decided against. I'm just gonna go with paint, as it will do the job with no fuss. With paint is the wax necessary? I've seen conflicting opinions. From reading it seems like laying paint on the tacky resin will seal it off from the air and cause it to cure completely. Am I wrong? 73Chrysler's reply seems like it would support the notion.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope. Paint is NOT Gelcoat. Gelcoat and resin are BOTH Polyester based so they are compatible. You should use wax in the last layer of resin on the deck. You can use Good ole' Rustoleum Pro Paint for your deck. I did and it's VERY durable.

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"

mwe-maxxowner

BTW one thing that may not be clear if you gelcoat the deck and do it within 36 hours of the last layup then you do not need wax in the last layup since the gelcoat will seal the last layup to cure and the last layer of gelcoat will have the wax for final cure.

But, in order to make gel look good over a fresh deck, the glass job needs to be sanded and all buildup where glass overlaps should be flushed up,no? Which is difficult on unwaxed glass as I understand it.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

WOG is right I was talking about putting Gelcoat since it is basically pigmented Poly resin. Gelcoat will flow over highs and lows and attempt to self level if the sole your covering is level and the gelcoat is thin enough. For paint you need a hard surface not tacky surface so you need wax in the last layer of resin then need to wash it with acetone to remove the wax and scuff and sand level then paint over the top after another wipe down.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

But, in order to make gel look good over a fresh deck, the glass job needs to be sanded and all buildup where glass overlaps should be flushed up,no? Which is difficult on unwaxed glass as I understand it.

Is it essential to overlap the CSM? If you used butt joints and staggered them, it seems like you'd have many fewer buildup spots. I'm just wondering, if you use overlap joints, how do you sand everything down enough so it looks smooth when painted or gelcoated? I'm concerned there will be edge lines and humps from overlap buildup that will show up all over the deck when gelcoated or painted.

Jim

mwe-maxxowner

I thought you are supposed to overlap about 4", but I could be wrong. I'm a ways away from that step myself. Once cured the humps would be sanded smooth with a grinder, as I understand it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I guess that's the part that I find a bit confusing. If you're grinding the bumps down smooth, aren't you pretty much just grinding away the top layer of the overlap? If that's true, then why bother overlapping?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Butt joints on the top of the deck are just fine. Run the seam down the center stem to stern on the first layer and then port to starboard on the secon layer. Last seam can have a 6" piece layed over it and once cured, sanded and feathered so you'd never see it once painted or gelled.