Questions.....(Here we go again)

Chevysolid

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, If you all weren't so helpful and insightful then I wouldn't have to keep asking the same questions about different boats...

What I have learned.

Stay away from OMC,
Get a bigger motor than a 3.0
Stay away from Bayliner
Get a bigger boat than a 17 ft.

Now...

I have found a 1994 Crownline 19 Ft. Bowrider with a new (30hrs.) 5.7 Liter Mercuiser I/O, I spoke with the owner and have seen picks and everything looks nice and he seems to be knowledgeable and he is selling for health reasons only...
Has covers, tandem axel trailer with brakes, and nice wheels, CD player, tube, and jackets
He is asking $5600, and is willing to negotiate,

1. What is a good/ fair deal,
2. 5.7 really to big? Gas and such,
3. Crownlines are pretty good overall right?

Overall the boat is bigger than what I need but seems to be a fair deal...

Input, Thanks alot again.... and if I buy a boat soon I will stop asking really dumb questions and move up to slightly stupid questions :)

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Questions.....(Here we go again)

So, what exactly is wrong with a Bayliner? I think I have seen this on here before but can't say there was any explanation as to why folks don't like them.

Randy

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

For me, I run a 14' deep V alum. with a 18hp. I've been 4 miles off the coast of Florida in that. It's not the best boat for off shore but I can also run in 10" in the flats. Bigger is not always better. I do only run myself or one other person....I never overload! I never test the weather!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

So, what exactly is wrong with a Bayliner? I think I have seen this on here before but can't say there was any explanation as to why folks don't like them.

Randy

From what I've read, they rot out easily and are cheaply made.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Chevysolid- Crowns are nice boats. A 5.7 in a 19 foot boat is probably a lot of over-kill, but that kind of power should be fun! No boat gets any kind of fuel mileage, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The price seems good if it looks nice and runs well.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can't help on the price just be sure to check the gimble bearing,all the bellows
universals etc.I test ride would be good.Check for soft spots.

bear_69cuda

Commander

No expert here...

But the Bayliner's have come a long way since the 1980's when they got the bad rep... My 1999 was well kept and seems like a very solid built boat... Any boat can rot out if not properly cared for... Please don't turn this thread into a Bayliner bash... :)

Peace out !

Chevysolid

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, Please... no Bayliner bashing... No offense to any one... just what I have been told by several people....

I hoping to get the boat for around 5k.
any feedback ??

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

I have found a 1994 Crownline 19 Ft. Bowrider with a new (30hrs.) 5.7 Liter Mercuiser I/O, I spoke with the owner and have seen picks and everything looks nice and he seems to be knowledgeable and he is selling for health reasons only...
Has covers, tandem axel trailer with brakes, and nice wheels, CD player, tube, and jackets
He is asking $5600, and is willing to negotiate,

sounds like a clean one owener. i don't think you'll find a better power package.
i can't say much about crownline personaly but the ones i have seen seem to be fine and i haven't heard anything bad about them.
some will tell you the extras do'nt count for much but i tend to think the other way. just price good custom covers, and a trailer, in good condition WILL save you $$$ in the long run. the less you have to buy now to rig the more$$ you'll have to buy what you want later.
from what you have said, make your best deal and get a survey and jump in

happy boating

JB25VIP

Seaman

Well it sounds like you have stumbled on to a good deal.

First off never owned a crownline but i've heard they are really nice boats, and i've ridden in a few and really liked them. They are towards the top of the line as far as major manufacturers. Thats all i know about crownline hope it helps.

As for the 5.7 in the 19 foot...........
I have a 1997 vip 19 foot with merc. 5.7. (bear in mind mine is the carbureted 210 horsepower whereas the fuel injected puts off around 230 or 250 or something) and i am completely satisfied with it. I have 8 or 9 in my boat most of the time pulling a wakeboarder or tube. With a boat full pulling a wakeboard out of the water the 5.7 does great. I don't think i would be happy with anything less in the - full boat pulling a skier - situations. Some may say 5.7 in a 19 is overkill.........though it may be when cruising around with an empty boat, if your planning on doing some watersports and having some folks on the boat with ya don't be scared of the 5.7, embrace it.

As far as gas mileage........its not too good but hey what boat gets good gas mileage? as we all know when you buy a boat the last thing your going to be able to do is save money! especially in gas.....I hope the $1.50 price stays good until summer gets here!

As for the price......if everything checks out on it sounds like a REALLY good price to me!

Another tip when you test drive it, after you pull it out of the water lower the unit down for about 10 minutes, then take out the drain plug screw and see if you have any big metal shavings in it, if so = worn gears which will be a lower unit rebuild to the tune of 1,000 so make sure and check that out (i made this mistake once...........but i won't make it again!)

I hope i haven't rambled.......happy boating!

Bigprairie1

Commander

Randy

...well a Bayliner is considered sort of entry level, lower priced...sort of like a Ford Ranger or a Dodge Dakota or even a mini-van.
Clearly for the inexperienced boater;);)....or driver.:D
BP:D:D

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chevysolid, one word , "SURVEYOR"!!! Unless you are familiar with boats mechanically and physically, get one.
I consider myself handy and mechanically inclined. Good enough that I do not need a mechanic to inspect a used car, but a boat, if you are new to all this as I was and am, it's a different animal. Get a surveyor to inspect that boat, go with him/her and ask alot of questions. They like to talk alot which is a good thing. You will be more at ease with your purchase and if they are problems it may give you some bargaining power or a tremendous amount of stress reduction later. You want this to be fun , not a pain in the a**!!
Now if you are familiar with boats, never mind!!! Ike

Chevysolid

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I got the Crownline, $4900 now I just have to wait to use it....

that is the worst part...

I HATE winter

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Good for you!!! If the boat is solid, you did good! Crownline is high-end for a mass production boat and the 5.7 will serve you well. Good Choice on both counts. Congratulations!

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, if I read right and it has a new 5.7L engine in it AND it's is decent overall condition ..... you stole it!!!! I have a 19' 1985 Mark Twain with a 5.7L 4bbl carb and it's absolutely a great power package, especially if you like to take lots of people out and do water sports. Crownline is a similar quality boat and yours is much newer - should be great. What a deal. the engine alone is worth $2500 or much more, depending on if it's really "new" or reconditioned/rebuilt.

Is it fuel injected or carbed - 2bbl or 4bbl carb? What top speed did the seller say it ran? Into the 50's I'd expect for sure (with the proper prop).

Chevysolid

Seaman Apprentice

He said that the engine was replaced with a factory crate motor when he bought in in winter 06/07, He thought it was FI, but was not a mechanic by any means and had the marina do all the work....
I posted elsewhere about the engine and it seems I need to take off the cover to tell for sure... may do that tom. (just covered it up nice and good today)

let you know

Chevysolid

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some pics

Attachments

• crownline (8).JPG
    crownline (8).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • crownline.jpg
    crownline.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • crownline (10).JPG
    crownline (10).JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • crownline (5).jpg
    crownline (5).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

:):D:)

best of luck. nice looking boat

JB25VIP

Seaman

for $4900 you dang near stole it

Congrats!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Awesome dude!

If that boat is as solid as the pics you did great!

Now onto the long winter.... What a drag for both of us huh? :mad:

Very happy for you!