Will a bad stator cause this?

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to find the cause of my 1975 850 merc cutting out at high rpms. I've replaced the fuel pump, cleaned carbs, have a good firm ball, and done the timing and sync of the carbs. It runs good and idles good just cuts out at high rpms then it'll start right back up. Can this be a bad stator?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Will a bad stator cause this?

A bad high speed winding on the stator could but it should show up with a DVA

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Laddies I'll chack that out

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 79 merc 70hp had float issues that caused a similar problem.<br />it idled ok ran at low rpm ok ( a little rough) but if i got on it alot it ran ok for about 15-20 seconds and cut out completely.<br />i could restart it and it would run ok again.<br />it may be a bad float or a too high of a float setting.<br />.02$

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tim tank vent is Okay. little doodie thanks I'll have to check that out if stator chks out.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Some staters have a low and a high speed windings. I'm not sure but I don't think your year model does. Does it have a distributor? Have you checked or cleaned your distributor cap? What about the carbon electrode in cap is it O.K.? Re check your timing. 21 @ max advance right? Other than that it still could be in the carb's I have seen them cleaned and get some trash right after a carb job. Have you ran a compression check? <br />Good Luck, Tim

Laddies

Banned

roger, tims right if your engine is a 75 it has battery CD, alt. driven CD started in 76 on 850s if it's battery CD (with a distributer ck the cap and carbon if they look alright hook a jumper wire between the red and white terminals on the switch box and run it to see if you have a bad ign. switch or connection in the boat wiring harness. Sorry about the BUM STEER earlier--Bob

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Tim and Laddies yes it has a distibuter. And I have jumped the red and white wires on the switch box (info from Clams) still same problem. Did compression chk and here goes #1 145, 2 140, #3 100, unable to get to #4. This is a battle I'll fight another day. Yank that 1975 850 off and upgraded to a 1973 850 that runs great with good even compression (135 PSI). The 1975 will have to be a winter project. However; other than the low compression in #3, I noticed the #4 plug was very clean compared to the other three plugs. Also I removed the LU and found what I believe is water and oil around the driveshaft right under the splines. Is the motor getting water somewhere that it shouldn't? Do you think it is worth trying to replace the piston rings or should I just part it out?

timmathis

Lieutenant

That is all up to you. Depends what you want to spend on it!! I sure would like to see compression on #4. You may never get the miss out of it tuning wise. Don't give up yet you still might. Tim