Questions for the Gel coat experts.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
237
I'm getting ready to re gel the hull on my 18' bass boat. I have questions for the gel coaters.

  1. How do you know how thick you are spraying?
  2. I have a "dump gun" or "cup gun". Is this better or worse to use than an HVLP with a 2mm nozzle?
  3. Can I spray some poly resin on a test piece and have it be close to what gel will spray like?
  4. Is a guide coat a good way to know when to stop sanding on gel?

I see the cup guns are more expensive than the others so that means they must be better right!? I have a ES Manufacturing G100 gun shown below.
6835.jpg


Seems rather crude but I know I'm going to be sanding for days anyway. Seems like this kind of gun might be better for applying into a mold and a regular spray gun might give a smoother finish. Is it worth buying a new gun for the difference? Luckily a lot of my hull is flat so I can DA a lot of it.

I was hoping that I can test spray with some poly to get a feel for how gel might spray out. Maybe they are not similar enough, I don't know.

Thanks for any input!

Adam
 

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
11,527
Re: Questions for the Gel coat experts.

For an actual example and explanation of spraying gel coat read the "hull extension" thread, it will give most of the info you need.

A dump gun works OK, the down side is the surface may be a little rougher with it though.
 
Top