Question to the experts about a acrylic resin...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Question for the forum: Puzzled about a question can't seem to find the answer to

Re: Question for the forum: Puzzled about a question can't seem to find the answer to

batteries live best in the rear where they are not pounded

blkvyyper

Seaman

Scott Danforth,
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know that...learn something new everyday. Just seems like all the weight is in the back.

Thanks again,

BV

blkvyyper

Seaman
Question for the forum experts about Kev-Core

Question for the forum experts about Kev-Core

Hello to all,
Was reading up on fiberglassing, when i ran across something a guy was using called Kev-Core. Was wondering if anyone ever used it in any of their boat restorations. He said it was expensive and has kevlar in it.

BV

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Ondarvr, thanks for str8n that out for me. My boat, like i stated before is a 1976 procraft 1500. The center stringer is a 2x10 about 12 ft long. Then another 2ft piece for the bow section. all the other stringers are solid lumber also (solid meaning not laminated together). I can't seem to find the original build plans for the boat. I called ProCraft, where the boat was originally built, and they said they don't have the original plans either. So to be honest, i don't know if that was how it was built or not. They were not sealed very well at all. So I don't know if i should go back with that design, or redesign it with all the experts help here, my goal is to make the boat lighter than it was, with all that water soaked wood, foam, and water itself i removed, the boat weighed a ton. I plan on redesigning the interior anyway for better weight distribution. Example- moving the gas tank from the rear to the center of the boat and the two batteries to the forward section....any thoughts?

BV

When did you contact ProCraft? Your boat was built in Murfreesboro, TN and that plant closed in the 1996. Now the name was sold and the ProCraft named carried on until 2009 (I think) but they are out now....After 1996 there were no more "real" ProCrafts. The other company didn't hold the specs like the original ProCrafts and Asto's.

Anyway, there are no plans anywhere on the originals boats out there anywhere, and mold have long since been distroyed (real shame), but on the lighter side I've not seen a ProCraft that used solid lumber stringers (not saying they aren't any) just haven't seen one, I'd suspect it's been changed before..

As far as moving things around I'd suggest keeping it factory....

CW

blkvyyper

Seaman

Cadwelder,
I see your in Charlotte, I'm in Mebane, don't know if you know where that is or not, about 2 hrs from you north easterly direction. Anyway, thanks for the reply. If you go to my earlier post: http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff491/blkvyyper/, you will see what was in it as far as stringers. I called ProCraft about 2 yrs ago. So they couldn't help me any. I understand what your saying about keeping it factory, just a bad design to me. But what i know, not a structural engineer, even though i worked with some of the best and learned a thing or 3...(smile) architects also and the two don't get along...believe me....LOL