Question re alarm buzzer and winterizing 2000 3.0 penta

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just finished winterizing my 2000 3.0 penta. After changing the oil, I ran the engine and fogged the carb. The electrical was all fine at this piont. After I shut the engine down and drained the block and manifold, I noticed none of my switches or gauges were working. If I flip any of the switches, I get the engine alarm buzzer. Is my temp alarm sensing the lack of water in the system and freaking out?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question re alarm buzzer and winterizing 2000 3.0 penta

Were you running the engine without water from muffs or anything else?

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I used muffs while I ran the engine. Once I fogged the carb, I stopped the engine and proceeded to pull the plugs and oil the cylinders. With the plugs off, I cranked the engine once distribute the oil. I took off the muffs and then drained the engine. After all that, I noticed the electrical issues.
Oh, and while I was draining the engine, I also removed the impeller and housing.

Last edited:

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess the obvious thing to do is put water back into the system and see if everything's back to normal. If that doesn't work, I'll start with the usual electrical checks to find the problem. There are two alarms on this engine - temp and oil pressure. The oil pressure alarm goes off when the ignition is activated until the pressure builds to a normal level. Oil pressure was normal while I ran the engine after the oil change - no alarm. Once I drained the system, I had an alarm if I tried to activate any electrical component. I'll post an update when I figure this out...