Question on power pak

kycoalminer

Cadet
I have a 1971 johnson 50 hp on a 17 foot bass tracker , been working on it for the past year. Rebuilt carbs, new coils, new fuel lines, new water pump. Problem I have had is it doesn’t want to open up at wot . Done a compression check it was good both cylinders are even. i brought a Sierra power pak. Put it on and still had the same problem. So I continued doing some more checks. Check the spark it’s not blue but a orange color. Took a test light and took off the coil terminals off the power pak and tested it and had no light. It’s a brand new power pak. Could it go bad that quick? How could I get spark at my plug wires but the power pak that’s feeding the coils does light up with a test light. . Could the stator cause a power pak to burn up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Test your battery.----Test / inspect your starter motor too.--------Test the sensor coil.----Test the charge coils.----They are under the flywheel.----No need to remove the flywheel to do the test.

kycoalminer

Cadet
10-4. I will test everything, hope I can figure it out. What kind of ohms readings should you get on a charge coils

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Don't know the values off hand.----But post what you get.-----cdi electronics----Would have the values you are looking for.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
1) You cant test ignition system with a test light.........
2) What was compression numbers?
3) These models are bad about crankcase halves leaking

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
100 is a bit low, Have you checked that the timing base is advancing all the way and not sticking?

kycoalminer

Cadet
Do you guys think that with 100 psi . That it’s not worth going any farther? I wouldn’t want to sink any more money into it. If I need to do internal work to . It’s a older motor. Right now I’m not in a position to buy a new motor

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Any chance you can retest compression with a different gauge?
I have a 71' Johnson 50hp and got around 170psi each cylinder last compression check..

I think it was racerone that told me that you'd expect 140+ on these.. (not positive, but pretty sure he's the one that said that.. )

Anyway, when compression is low, as 100 seems to be in this case, it's always a good idea to verify the numbers with a different gauge if at all possible before presuming the worst of anything..

Still new, and NOT a pro, but that's my $0.02...